Baby Names
Options

Greenley/ Greenlee thoughts...

Please don't be mean, but I'd like some opinions on the name Greeley. My father's name was Green (he passed away when I was two) and we've been thinking about incorporating it into our daughter's name. She'll be our first child. 

If you don't like it, just say that... remember, most of us are pregnant, so I'd prefer not to cry when reading thread posts! :)

Here are my main concerns: (1) It's too hippy, (2) it's too different, (3) All My Children references <-- I guess there was a character w/ the name?!

What do you think?  

Re: Greenley/ Greenlee thoughts...

• Options

I would use it as a middle name. If I heard Greenley/lee I would just think it was trendy and not even suspect a family connection. I'd do a feminine first name and use Green as a mn:

Natalie Green

Lucy Green

Molly Green

Lola Green

Farah Green

etc...

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• Options
    I don't like it as a first name, but think Greenley would make a nice middle name given the meaning behind it.
    One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagelindslalala:
    I don't like it as a first name, but think Greenley would make a nice middle name given the meaning behind it.

This

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 46808 845377924360 2036704678 n

WIMG950372 1

• Options

imagelindslalala:

I agree with this.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 
    Pinterest:misskristina22
    Instagram:misskristina26
  • Options
    imageManderlin923:

I would use it as a middle name. If I heard Greenley/lee I would just think it was trendy and not even suspect a family connection. I'd do a feminine first name and use Green as a mn:

Natalie Green

Lucy Green

Molly Green

Lola Green

Farah Green

etc...

This is what I'm thinking as well. Greenley doesn't even seem like a name to me, but I think the mn Green is very unique and heartfelt!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My first thought was All My Children.  I don't hate it for the MN spot, but am not sure I'd personally use it in the FN spot.  I tend to typically like more traditional/classic names though so...

image image

D 2.20.2011 & Z 7.16.2013

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Use Green in the middle name spot. Do not use Greenley/Greenlee at all.
  • Options
    I don't like Greenley/Greenlee (the family connection wouldn't be obvious, and it would just seem like it was following the "-lee", "-ly" trend).  But I think plain old Green would be fine/nice for a middle name. And like pp, I'd pair it with a feminine first name.
  • Options
    I know a guy with the ln Greenly and he strictly goes by this name so I can see it as a fn. I actually think its cute and wouldn't dissuade you from using it for your daughter.
  • Options
    I agree Green would make a nice middle name. I like the sentiment but the sound of it is not particularly attractive or feminine to me. If I came across Greenley and didn't know the history, I'd think "Oh look, another random word/syllable with Lee tacked on the end to make a 'unique' girl's name."

Also, when I say it outloud my brain wants to hear 'Greensleeves'.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    imagefennyann:

imagelindslalala:

This

Yes

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I think your first 2 concerns are valid.  (The AMC reference wouldn't bother me if I liked the name). 

Have you thought about using a name that means Green? Chloe means "Green shoot" in Greek according to Behindthename - which is SUCH a lovely meaning given your father's name.  

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagebrooksidebride:
    I don't like Greenley/Greenlee (the family connection wouldn't be obvious, and it would just seem like it was following the "-lee", "-ly" trend).  But I think plain old Green would be fine/nice for a middle name. And like pp, I'd pair it with a feminine first name.

All of this. 

• Options
    I love the idea of using Green as a middle name.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I prefer the more traditional names, too. My husband really likes it, but I have convinced him that we could use a more traditional first name and use Green or Greenley as a MN. He isn't fond of Green, though, because he says it sounds like a last name. I suppose we have 18 weeks left to decide! Thank you for your input. 
  • Options
    If you like it use it :) it has special meaning to you and your family and that's all that matters! Doesn't matter what other people's reaction to your daughters name is really... I like Greenley as a first name!
  • Options

image12Leslie:
    I prefer the more traditional names, too. My husband really likes it, but I have convinced him that we could use a more traditional first name and use Green or Greenley as a MN. He isn't fond of Green, though, because he says it sounds like a last name. I suppose we have 18 weeks left to decide! Thank you for your input. 

If it helps, a lot of people have last names as middle names. Myself being one of them. :)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I actually like it, and I'm a traditional name kind of girl. Maybe Greenleigh?
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imagelindslalala:

This, but seriously, not Greenlee! 

Not in TX any more! - Central PA
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I first read it as gr-ehn-lee with I think is nicer sounding. I don't think there's anything wrong with it in the first name spot, and I like this spelling -> Greenley, better.

You only have a few chances to name your kid, why go with the usual stuff like Jenny, Ashley etc? Especially if that name means something to you. It doesn't have to be super feminine. 

Good luck! Again, I love it.

• Options

I have a friend with a daughter named Greenlee :)

If you are too nervous to use as a first name, like OP said, use it as a middle name.

I think it has meaning to you, don't worry what others think.  I think its kinda cute, actually. 

• Options
    I'd just use Green as her MN. Otherwise, WDYT of Jade? It would be a prettier alternative and could still be used in honor of your father. Just a suggestion! ;)

Mr. & Mrs. - Est. 10.03.2009

TTC #1 since 06.2011 Me-24 DH-24

12.2011 SA = Normal

06.2012 First visit with OB/GYN

10.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

11.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

12.2012 Clomid 100mg + TI = BFN

01.2013 First visit with RE

02.2013 Clomid 150mg + TI = BFN

03.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

05.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

06.2013 Femara 7.5mg + TI = BFN

*Taking a break*  

• Options
    You could also name your daughter after a shade of green, or use one as a middle name. Kelly, Jade, Emerald, etc. Kelly, Lincoln, or Hunter could work for a boy as well.

Eta: Olive for a girl as well!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    I think Green as a MN is a good idea.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

imagestrawberrytree:
    You could also name your daughter after a shade of green, or use one as a middle name. Kelly, Jade, Emerald, etc. Kelly, Lincoln, or Hunter could work for a boy as well.

^^this

• Options

I think it's cute as a first or mn.

Lots of people with uncommon names are taken seriously in life. My two closest friends have VERY unique names, and they are an ER nurse and a sign language interpreter. They didn't end up stripping because of their names.

"Your truth is different from my truth, and we're both right."

TTC since March 2013. BFP 4/13/13, blighted ovum discovered 6/6/13, m/c 6/8/13.

BFP 11/10/13, EDD 7/25/13 - stick little owlet!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

My first thought looking at the subject line was All My Children.  However, that's not necessarily a bad thing.  I love that you are honoring your dad and I actually like the name Greenlee.  I wouldn't be daring enough to use it as a first name, but I LOVE it as a middle name.

Katherine Greenlee

Lydia Greenlee

Claire Greenlee

Evelyn Greenlee

Vivian Greenlee

Lila Greenlee

BFP 1/8/10, MC 1/15/10 | BFP 3/20/10, MC 6/24/10 | BFP 12/13/10...EDD 8/22/11...DD born 6/7/11 @ 29 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagescoutkate:

imagebrooksidebride:

All of this. 

SCOUTKATE

You are here!

• Options
    I think it's adorable and original!  If you like it, that's all the matters.
  • Options
    imagearizonatea:

I first read it as gr-ehn-lee with I think is nicer sounding. I don't think there's anything wrong with it in the first name spot, and I like this spelling -> Greenley, better.

You only have a few chances to name your kid, why go with the usual stuff like Jenny, Ashley etc? Especially if that name means something to you. It doesn't have to be super feminine. 

Good luck! Again, I love it.

I agree, although DD's name is Ashley Wink   It's different.

• Options
    I don't like it. It's not a pretty name.
  • Options
    I like Green as a mn much more.
  • Options
    I am usually very traditional in my naming preferences. But Greenlee is one exception for me. I dig it. It's on my GP list. And I have no idea why.
    baby boy: 3.19.2014
  • Options
    I don't love it as a first name because it's SO unusual I would assume it was made-up. As a middle name, I think it's really sweet but I would just use your dad's actual name. It's a lovely tribute and a great story for her to tell.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am a big All My CHildren watcher and I LOVE the name Greenlee.  It is a GP name of mine.  I would use it!  I guess I'm in the minority, but whatevs. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My first thought is the soap opera. I think this would be better kept in the MN column if you go with Greenley. I thnk just Green would be nice in the MN spot.

Alternatively you could do color name as a nod to Green: Olive, Kelly, Sage, Jade.

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Maybe change up the first and middle and go with Callahan Green and call her Callie?
  • Options
    I agree with what others are saying, I'd use Greenly in the middle name spot. I think having the name just be Green without the 'ly' would be just fine too. I think it might be a little bit too much for a first name, though. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
  • Options

imageJoy2611:
    I'd use the name "Green" as your daughter's middle name.  Greenley or Greenlee is just not a good name and is only half honoring your father (as his name was not either of those choices.)  I think that honoring someone means using their exact name.

This.  I don't like how Greenley sounds made up and I don't like masculine names on girls, but I think anything goes in the MN spot, and using your dad's name without any modification is a nice way to honor your father.

DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"