September 2012 Moms

Baby Food Question

Okay, so we were doing really well and LO was trying a new food every week and things were going well. I was learning her likes and dislikes.  Well, last Saturday we were out with DH's family and we decided to give her some mashed potatoes, just to see if she liked them and what not.  I put the spoon in her mouth and she got a tiny bit of potato on her tongue and started gagging and then projectile vomited.  I just figured she wasn't ready and didn't like them.  Plus they were homemade and I heard later that they put garlic in them.

Well yesterday I gave her a little bit of avocado to try.  Same thing, got it in her mouth and she immediately started gagging and then threw up all over.  She hasn't had any new food for two weeks and is perfectly fine with everything that we had already tried.  

Any suggestions or thoughts as to why this is happening?  It is making me really nervous to give her anything new.... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

Re: Baby Food Question

• Maybe it's just too thick.  When I made avocado I made sure to make it pretty thin.  Try thinning it out a bit and see how she does. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• imageanitalynn:
    I'm sure it's the texture, not the actual food.

Probably this. New texture. Not baby food.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageanitalynn:
    I'm sure it's the texture, not the actual food.

Probably this. New texture. Not baby food.
  • I agree with the texture being the issue, especially because you said she started to gag first. My LO did this the first time we tried puffs. He didn't like it on his tongue, gagged and threw up. I waited a few weeks and tried again. Now he does ok with them.

I would try to thin them, or just wait and try again later. 

• I agree about texture, because my LO did this with bananas and avocado for the first couple weeks. I think they might kind of stick right to the spot that activates his gag reflex, because it was MULTIPLE gag episodes! He's already doing better with those foods, though, so I think it's just a matter of getting used to it and learning to move food around in his mouth.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"