One & Done: Only child

Mother's Day Plans?

My DH asked me last night if I wanted to go out for dinner on Mother's Day. I don't really want to (we go out for dinner EVERY Saturday night (date night) so to me it isn't that special. What are your plans? Do you do the same thing every year?
=BFP#1 11/2009, It's a boy! 3/2010, Our Angel Ian born sleeping 7/3/2010 (cord accident 37w5d); BFP#2 1/2011, mmc confirmed 2/24/2011, incomplete natural mc so had D&C 3/11/2011; BFP#3 6/19/2011, natural mc 6/21/2011; BFP#4 7/15/2011, no hb at 7w5d, D&C 9/7/2011; BFP#5 2/6/2012, baby boy born on 9/27/2012 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers imageimageimage

Re: Mother's Day Plans?

• I'm taking my DD and my Mother out to lunch.  My DH may or may not come (his mom passed away a year and a half ago so he's not sure about it). 

Last year he gave me a spa day (while I enjoyed it, it wasn't really in our budget) so this year I gave him some more affordable options. 

All I really want is to have a relaxing day - I'm not going to do housework and I'm going to enjoy time with my DD.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We'll probably go out to brunch with my mom, my sister, etc.  Nothing too special.

That said, what I really would like for Mother's Day is a day off--from work, from baby duty, etc.  I love my family, but I have not had a day to myself since DS was born, and he's 14.5 months old. 

• Loading the player...
  • I have no idea yet. I have terrible memories attached to Mother's Day for the past two years (2011 - I got a BFP that ended in a m/c a week later and last year DD was in the hospital for cellulitis and we spent the day alone in her hospital room because my husband was sick). If this year is completely uneventful it will be good enough for me.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Last year was my first Mother's Day. I wanted to go to brunch and planned it when DD should have been napping during off peak hours on Saturday, instead of Sunday. I thought I was so on top of it. DD woke up, threw a fit and I realized that I left her snacks and pacifier at home. I ended up eating my brunch and drinking my mimosa alone while DH took her outside to calm down.

So, no, I don't plan to do the same thing again (haha). This year, ILs are coming to town to visit DD. I have offered to make brunch at home. It should be lovely.

• We have a ladies day out every year.  Being so far away from home makes it harder, but we are flying to see my mom, grandma, and aunt and we will all go out to a nice lunch and maybe do some shopping together.  My mom is super excited about seeing DD. 
    photo NewAveryPic_zps943cadf9.jpg
  • Salt--what awful Mother's Day memories.  Hope you do have an uneventful day.
  • Thanks. <3 Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer. I texted my husband after I read this thread and told him that I hoped I had an uneventful day and he freaked out thinking that today was Mother's Day and he forgot. So that was funny. :)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Last year on Mother's Day I was pregnant with LO, but my SO still acknowledged it. He got me some perfume from Victoria Secrets, we went out for ice cream, and then he took me to walk on the strip in VA Beach and we had dinner at a really nice Italian Restaraunt. I'm not sure what the plans are for this year, but he keeps hinting that it will be really special.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I am guessing it will be the same as any other Sunday. DH has a baseball meeting in the evening. Ella and I might take my mom out to dinner.
  • I think we are either doing the zoo or a local farmers market. Then ordering in dinner. Brunches in my city are so crazy busy!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We haven't solidified anything yet, but I honestly would LOVE a day alone.

I know I should say I just want to spend it with my family...but that would be a lie! Ha ha!

I am a SAHM, so I am with my daughter constantly. I love her more than anything, but a day alone sounds like heaven.

I'm thinking of suggesting my husband take our LO to visit his grandmother on Saturday night, and then they can come home by Sunday afternoon and we can all be together. That would be ideal!

C is 3 years old

• My sisters and I do a brunch or high tea (depending on the time) for my mom and grandma every year. I don't really enjoy going out to eat with my son, so we'll probably just grill something for dinner.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We're having our mothers over on Saturday for dinner.  Hopefully the weather is nice and we can grill outside and let DS run around with his grandparents.

Sunday will be a lazy day without visitors.  Probably go for a walk to get ice cream.  I'm pretty boring :)

DS 11.24.11
    MMC 3.30.16
  • This will be my first Mother's Day as a mom. In previous years we just went and visited with our moms, maybe this year I will invite everyone over for a BBQ.
  • We keep things pretty mellow. DH and I agreed, for example, that we wouldn't exchange Mother's/Father's Day gifts for each other and we won't buy anything from LO until he's old enough to actually choose it himself. (Or just make something, of course.)

We're about 1500 miles from all family and DH works Sundays, so it's pretty much a regular day for us. But I really don't mind. Not least because my birthday is in early May and one special day in a month is plenty.

This year is unusual, however. DH's grandfather just passed away and we'll be in California for the services. They're Friday/Saturday and we'll still be there on Sunday so I'll be attending the traditional all-girl Mother's Day brunch with his side of the family. First time for me for that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is only my third Mother's Day. My first sucked and I let DH know that he dropped the ball. Last year we went to brunch and it was amazing.

This year I bought Mariner's tickets. I plan to start my day with mimosas and bacon. Then have a beautiful day at the ballpark.

SEAHAWKS! And... Macklemore. Seattle's WINNING! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"