Working Moms

XP: WWYD teacher trouble

My DS goes to a preschool we like very much. He generally has positive things to say about all of his teachers. My DH usually does drop off and pick up. About two weeks ago I happened to pick up DS. When I arrived, one teacher had the children in circle time and the other Miss L had two children in the restroom. I could not see what was going on but could hear clearly. Miss L was speaking rudely to the children, basically reprimanding for not pulling up their pants. She didn't say anything out of line, it was the tone of voice I felt was uncalled for. I didn't say anything that day, but felt uncomfortable because i wouldn't want anyone talking to my child that way. I talked to DH about it and he mentioned hearing a rude tone from her previously. Today DH picked up DS and heard Miss L rudely punishing two girls for making a mess in the play house area. Again, nothing specifically out of line was said, just the tone and level of voice. We're not sure what to do. If we hear it again should we say something to Miss L right then? Should we bring up our concerns to Miss L even before another incident? Should we talk to the director? I just feel like our observations or subjective. I don't want her to get mad at us and take it out on DS.
Loving Life being Brett's Mama! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: XP: WWYD teacher trouble

• I would talk to the director/owner.  If there's an issue it's up to them to handle it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would talk to the director about it.  We have one teacher at D1's school who is a little abrupt with the kids but that's just her personality/the way she interacts with them.  The kids love her.

• Loading the player...
  • I can't really see getting involved in this. Unless she's yelling at the kids or using inappropriate language. Some people have a sharp tone - that's life.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageKathrynMD:
    I can't really see getting involved in this. Unless she's yelling at the kids or using inappropriate language. Some people have a sharp tone - that's life.

I agree w/this.  Unless your child seems to start having an issue - like being afraid of her or not wanting to go to DC because his teacher syells at him, then I don't think there is anything to deal with here.  DS had a pre-3 teacher that was very stern and had a sharp tone that I felt was a little harsh for a room full of 3-year-olds, but he is still at the same school and he adores her and gives her a big hug when he sees her so my impression of her was obviously not the same as his.

• I agree with PP  - it depends on the context and what exactly was being said. If she was saying "we do not throw playdoh at each other!" in a stern voice then I'm good with that. If she lost her temper and was either yelling at them or belittling them I would have a problem with that and would speak to another teacher I trust or the director. I guess I'm not really sure what "rude" is.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKathrynMD:
    I can't really see getting involved in this. Unless she's yelling at the kids or using inappropriate language. Some people have a sharp tone - that's life.

This. You also don't know how long she had been trying to get the kids to pull up their pants. You can only repeat yourself so many times before it will get to you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I will take a tone with DD to convey a message.  If I'm always talking sing-songy-happy, she doesn't know when I'm serious.  I consider it a benefit to her.  I remember having tough teachers and tough bosses.  It's part of life.

At our daycare, there's usually 1 fun teacher and 1 business/serious teacher. 

• imageKathrynMD:

This, unless it becomes a pattern of behavior/tone.

We all, teachers included, have moments where we aren't our best.  Being "on" 100% of the time is really hard, and kids can push all of our buttons at all the wrong times. 

• I teach little kids and I definitely have a "teacher voice".  It's stern, it's not a nice tone, and it means I that mean business.  I use it often because kids are often ornery and uncooperative. :)  That doesn't mean I'm not also a loving, fun teacher!  Unless she is outright yelling at them, cursing, bullying the children, then I would leave it be.  Most teachers have a "teacher voice" and you'll hear it often when you visit schools.  Chances are your child will encounter it again in his lifetime.  If you do decide you have an issue that needs addressed, always go the source of the issue first before going to the boss.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • OP - when my DD moved to the 3s room, we started to encounter more "teacher" voice and it is a change from all the sing-songy loving patience that we were used to in infant and toddler rooms. I was a little turned off initially, but the one particular teacher, I thought she did a great job with the kids and she was loving and huggy too, but she could kick into the "teacher voice" pretty quick. I remember kindergarten too - and those teachers need a stern voice sometimes to keep control over a classroom full of wiggley 5 yos - so I think this just part of the prep for the transition to real school.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Thanks all. That's why I'm struggling with how to handle it, since it's so subjective. I can't really define rude, it was simply the "tone" of voice and yelling. I personally have talked to my own DS that way not proud of it, but i wouldn't expect anyone else to talk to him that way, even out of frustration.
    I appreciate all the input.
    Loving Life being Brett's Mama! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageferris0906:

imageKathrynMD:

This, unless it becomes a pattern of behavior/tone.

We all, teachers included, have moments where we aren't our best.  Being "on" 100% of the time is really hard, and kids can push all of our buttons at all the wrong times. 

This is what I was thinking too. Even as a parent not a teacher my tone has been abrubt v yelling. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"