January 2013 Moms

Sleep deprived momma

I have been running on 4 hours of sleep for the past 3 months. Oddly, I have an internal clock that wakes me up every 3 hours. It doesnt matter how exhausted I am, I am awake every 3 hours to check on my DD. The whole "nap while your baby naps" is a laughing matter as I am busy with housework. Im getting worried about being able to function during the day when I return to work next week. Am I the only one with this crazy unwanted internal clock?

Re: Sleep deprived momma

• I went back in early April.  I don't know how but somehow I did it. I am so tired but I'm functioning. I teach 3 rd grade so I feel extra tired at the end of the day!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Like Brenda said, you just do it. I went back at the end of March, and I have been lucky to have only a handful of bad nights, but they are rough. The next day I will be so sleepy, my head will be bobbing at my desk. I can be reading something on my computer and my eyes will just cross. It's not easy, but you know what you have to do so you just truck through it. I'm very lucky to have only women coworkers in my office who have been through this, so they are understanding.

ETA... We also have an office in the back without windows which is great for a lunchtime nap, whenever its manageable.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • You will make it work. Be prepared to give yourself a break when it comes to the house work though. Delegate what you can and don't kill yourself over it. My house has been somewhat of a wreck since I've been back to work and you know what? I'm doing the best I can. I frequently choose sleep over extra housework at night. It's just the way it is right now.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • I went back the beginning of March and I don't think I've had a night where I got more than 5 hours of sleep total; many were just 2-3 hours.  I don't know how I do it but i do.  I have discovered that we are able to accomplish much on little to no sleep.  I second what PP said about giving up some housework in favor of sleep.  As soon as DS goes to sleep for the night so do I, I don't care what has or hasn't been done around the house.  I treat it like a battle for survival.

You'll be fine and on days where you got next to no sleep there's always delicious caffeine to perk you up. 

My Blog: Sewing, crafting, motherhood, computers, and random musings... Sleep is for the weak

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Like PP said, you just do it. DS started waking up more at night right around the same time I went back to work. It hasn't been a walk in the park, but I'm getting through each day. I am considering hiring a housekeeper once a month to do the heavy cleaning, and then just doing some maintenance / sprucing up on the weekends until we get into a groove with me back at work. My theory is, if I'm going to work to make money, I am going to spend a little of it on letting myself enjoy my weekends and free time with DS.
  • Brenda,

How do you make these cute photo collages?

• imageBrendamndz:
    Last night it seemed like I had that evil internal clock every 2 hours. Then I would fall asleep and R would wake up. Every time. I feel you on the anxiety though, I am lucky enough to average 8 hours a night in 2 to 3 stretches, however we still are getting 1 bad night a week usually and I get some anxiety going worrying myself about how in the world I will function at work with 3 or 5 hours of sleep. From what I hear you just do it. Thank the heavens I am enjoying caffeine in moderation and my office is in walking distance to both a Pete's and Starbucks is all I have to say!!

Is this how I "say" I'm posting to a specific person in a reply?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"