March 2013 Moms
Options

Hydronephrosis

If anyone on here has a child with this condition any advice you can give would be appreciated. Wednesday, I took my son into the hospital for a VCUG which is a procedure where they catheter him and then run due through his kidneys to see if he has kidney reflux. The first time they did it he pushed the catheter out before they could run the dye through. Second time he kicked so much it slid out. The third time they called in the pediatric nurse she inserts the catheter my child is screaming bloody murder didn't make a sound the first 2 times I ask them to take it out and they say they will. After 10 minutes of me pleading for them to take it out they finally do and blood is squirting from his penis. I am crying, he's crying they are trying to calm me down by telling me this has happened before. That is not an acceptable answer to me. They call his PCP and inform her of the ordeal. They also say he will probably have some bleeding during the evening but it should subside by Thursday. No bleeding Thursday, Friday Saturday or Sunday. I hear him screaming like he's in pain Monday morning he has drops of blood in his diaper. We go back to the doc. I request to see a pediatric urologist they refer me to go to one at children's hospital. Call to make an appt, thy wont take me because I don't have film of the procedure they did previously. Tonight the boy tosses and turns, something tells me to check his diaper more blood. I just don't know what else to do. He's sleepy and in pain I'm exhausted and no one seems to be of any help. Someone please offer some advice if you can.

Re: Hydronephrosis

• Options
    I'm sorry you have to see your baby in pain, hope the issue is resolved quickly. Good luck.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imageMrs MoJoRisin:
    I'm sorry you have to see your baby in pain, hope the issue is resolved quickly. Good luck.

Thank you.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DS had hydro in utero so he had a normal ultrasound at one month old, still there. We're going to see the pedi urologist on Friday and he's having another ultrasound, I hope they are not doing the test you described!! That sounds horrible. I guess If my son still has hydro then maybe the next step would be to determine if its from reflux or an obstruction. He takes a low dose antibiotic every day. I hope your little guy feels better! Is he mild moderated or severe? Ours is mild.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I know nothing about this but I'm so sorry this is happening. I would be so pissed about what happened, that sounds awful. I hope you find some answers soon!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    My older son had it present at birth.

At a week old they had to do the procedure as you described. It was horrible watching and there was a bit of blood but after the procedure, he was fine and we didn't have Any bleeding or issues after.

At six months we had a follow up that is only an ultrasound so it's much much easier. His kidney was still swollen so they just wanted to monitor. We actually just had another follow up yesterday at 18 months. Still swollen but it has gone down some on its on so we will just continue with follow ups.

I believe in some cases antiobotics are needed and in more rare cases, a simple surgery usually around a year old.

• Options
    imageMrs MoJoRisin:

Thanks! Please keep u in your prayers!
  • Options
    imageAbeja1226:
    My DS had hydro in utero so he had a normal ultrasound at one month old, still there. We're going to see the pedi urologist on Friday and he's having another ultrasound, I hope they are not doing the test you described!! That sounds horrible. I guess If my son still has hydro then maybe the next step would be to determine if its from reflux or an obstruction. He takes a low dose antibiotic every day. I hope your little guy feels better! Is he mild moderated or severe? Ours is mild.

They attempted to do the ultrasound and he refused to pee. Even when I stripped him down to his diaper! Lol when someone who actually is gentle and experienced does it, it is a pretty simple procedure. But these nurses were not that experienced in doing this on infants which btw I wasn't informed of their lack of experience until afterwards. I pray that your LO doesn't have to go through this. As for the level of severity, I have no idea. They haven't given him any antibiotics and he wasn't treated for it in the hospital. We actually went to see his cardiologist today and he suggested that I request another ultrasound be done at The children's hospital. Then if they think its severe opt for another VCUG and then handle it accordingly.
  • Options
    imageAbeja1226:

They attempted to do the ultrasound and he refused to pee. Even when I stripped him down to his diaper! Lol when someone who actually is gentle and experienced does it, it is a pretty simple procedure. But these nurses were not that experienced in doing this on infants which btw I wasn't informed of their lack of experience until afterwards. I pray that your LO doesn't have to go through this. As for the level of severity, I have no idea. They haven't given him any antibiotics and he wasn't treated for it in the hospital. We actually went to see his cardiologist today and he suggested that I request another ultrasound be done at The children's hospital. Then if they think its severe opt for another VCUG and then handle it accordingly.
  • Options
    imagelkm2006:
    My older son had it present at birth.

At a week old they had to do the procedure as you described. It was horrible watching and there was a bit of blood but after the procedure, he was fine and we didn't have Any bleeding or issues after.

At six months we had a follow up that is only an ultrasound so it's much much easier. His kidney was still swollen so they just wanted to monitor. We actually just had another follow up yesterday at 18 months. Still swollen but it has gone down some on its on so we will just continue with follow ups.

I believe in some cases antiobotics are needed and in more rare cases, a simple surgery usually around a year old.

I really appreciate your response. It's a relief to know what might happen next. Thank you!
  • Options
    Hmm I wonder why some Los are on antibiotics and others aren't. Mine is to "prevent a kidney infection since the urine hangs around in the kidney". I'm praying its gone when we go for his second ultrasound. I don't think I can let them cath my child, for real. DS did pee during his ultrasound and when thy measured again the kidney was actually normal, however the pedi urologist said that if its enlarged even before peeing they still want to follow up. DSs kidney went from big to normal and fluctuated between normal and mild the whole time I was pregnant, I had an ultrasound every week so this is so frustrated I just want the hydro to be gone! My daughter also had it in utero and had one us follow up when I was pregnant and it was normal, but never had another one. Now I think what if she has it too as DSs first follow up us in utero was normal too, but because I had us every week for high risk, we caught that the kidney was enlarged again.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagejahjbmr:
    I know nothing about this but I'm so sorry this is happening. I would be so pissed about what happened, that sounds awful. I hope you find some answers soon!

This. Sending thoughts and prayers your way!

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    My daughter has this. She's 25 months and we found out when she was 2 months old after a UTI. She had a VCUG then and has been on antibiotics since 2 months old because hers is severe. She gets kidney ultrasounds every 6 months and will go for ther second VCUG when she is 2 1/2 to check her ureters again. We're hoping some progress has been made so she can finally stop taking the meds :/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"