February 2013 Moms

Weight gain question

My first DS was/is very tiny for his age. We were constantly trying to feed him and worried about weight gain. (And we have a baby scale because of him!)  Well, I have no clue what's normal now!  DS2 had his 2 mo appt 2 weeks ago and has gained a lb and a half since then!! Does that seem normal?  He's at 13lb 9oz now... He's EBF and doesn't spend a lot of time "snacking" at the breast.  He suddenly outgrew the 3-6mo onesies too; they barely snap!  Should I be concerned or do average babies gain weight that quickly??  Obviously he's getting taller too... I think I may just be used to my little, barely on the growth chart kiddo!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Weight gain question

• I have no idea what's normal, but my LO was 8 lb 3 oz at birth, and 13 lbs at 6 weeks. That's roughly 1.9 oz gained per day, and we EBF with minimal "snacking." 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I recently read and I don't remember where but EBF babies gain more weight faster in the beginning and that weight gain slows down a whole lot around 6 months. Whereas FF babies are the opposite they gain more weight later. It was in an article someone recently posted here.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageadamsabigail14:
    I recently read and I don't remember where but EBF babies gain more weight faster in the beginning and that weight gain slows down a whole lot around 6 months. Whereas FF babies are the opposite they gain more weight later. It was in an article someone recently posted here.

LOL, it was an article that I posted!!  Funny!  It didn't say how much weight though!  Is 1.5 lbs in two weeks too much??

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagepitterpatter129:

imageadamsabigail14:
    I recently read and I don't remember where but EBF babies gain more weight faster in the beginning and that weight gain slows down a whole lot around 6 months. Whereas FF babies are the opposite they gain more weight later. It was in an article someone recently posted here.

LOL, it was an article that I posted!!  Funny!  It didn't say how much weight though!  Is 1.5 lbs in two weeks too much??

I don't think so. That's about 1.7 oz a day. It's a lot, but I don't think too much... 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • LOL that's so funny!! Haha yea I don't think that's too much Luke gained two pounds and some change over about two weeks. Then it slowed down quite a bit and now he looks like he's gained again this week I haven't weighed him though.
  • My pedi told us anywhere from .5 to 1 oz per day. But maybe he is just catching up! My LO was 10 lbs 8 oz at birth and is now 11 weeks and only 12 lbs 8 oz. The pedi said it was fine because she was born big and is now leveling out so i wonder if the opposite is true. Thats great though!
  • imageKc283:
    My pedi told us anywhere from .5 to 1 oz per day. But maybe he is just catching up! My LO was 10 lbs 8 oz at birth and is now 11 weeks and only 12 lbs 8 oz. The pedi said it was fine because she was born big and is now leveling out so i wonder if the opposite is true. Thats great though!

I've heard that big babies tend to gain slower, while smaller babies basically play catch up. DD weighed 7 lbs 5 oz at birth, was down to 6 lbs 13 oz at 5 days, and was up to nearly 12 lbs by 5 and a half weeks, so she was gaining about a pound a week after her weight bottomed out.

The doctor said the same thing a PP said, about breastfed babies packing on the pounds early on, then weight gain slowing down a lot after the six month mark.

• imagePuck1182:
    imageKc283:
    My pedi told us anywhere from .5 to 1 oz per day. But maybe he is just catching up! My LO was 10 lbs 8 oz at birth and is now 11 weeks and only 12 lbs 8 oz. The pedi said it was fine because she was born big and is now leveling out so i wonder if the opposite is true. Thats great though!
    I've heard that big babies tend to gain slower, while smaller babies basically play catch up. DD weighed 7 lbs 5 oz at birth, was down to 6 lbs 13 oz at 5 days, and was up to nearly 12 lbs by 5 and a half weeks, so she was gaining about a pound a week after her weight bottomed out. The doctor said the same thing a PP said, about breastfed babies packing on the pounds early on, then weight gain slowing down a lot after the six month mark.

Except mine was huge at birth too!  8lbs!  He lost down to 7lb6oz and is at 13lb9oz at 9 weeks old!  He's going to be huge!! :)  Maybe he'll level off.

• DD was 9lbs5oz at birth an weighs 16lbs at 3 months. She's been weighed a lot and has gained rapidly and less so at different times. I think they just do what they're gonna do! Doc says it's all normal. She gained 19oz in 9 days once!

ETA: EBF
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"