Blended Families
Options

Chores schedule

My SD is with us every weekend and Wednesday for dinner. She is 9, and we've just moved. This last weekend it really hit me how messy she is, probably because I'm still trying to organize and unpack, and this weekend I felt like I just followed her around and cleaned up after her. I know we have created this, because we have minimal expectations on her. But I think at age 9 its time she start to take some responsibity in cleaning up after herself. So, considering we are the parttime parents, and she's only 9, I'm looking for some thoughts on what appropriate chores are. Obviously keeping her own room clean tidy, she has her own bathroom, is cleaning a bathroom too much for 9? I'm kinda particular about the kitchen so I may wait to have her chip in there.

Re: Chores schedule

• Options
    This is coming from someone who does not and has never had a 9 year old but I think that would be fine. I would have her be responsible for her own general cleanliness (keep her room neat, her things in her room or where they should be, take her dishes to the sink, etc). I think having her wipe down her own bathroom once a week is reasonable too.
  • Options

Here is a list of age appropriate chores I have seen floating around on pinterest:

https://thehappyhousewife.com/home-management/files/2012/07/age-appropriate-chores-for-kids-1.pdf

DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

all I can think of when you say she has to clean the bathroom is Cinderella!

• Options
    imagegin9874:

Here is a list of age appropriate chores I have seen floating around on pinterest:

https://thehappyhousewife.com/home-management/files/2012/07/age-appropriate-chores-for-kids-1.pdf

Thanks for posting this! I want something structured for when SS is with us and I feel this will help me figure out what is "ok" and what isn't.

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options

My SS is 9 - 10 in June.  He is with us 50% and here is a list of his chores:

- keep room straightened.

- take his folded clothes upstairs and put them away.

- Keep bathroom sink clean of toothpaste (he wipes the sink nearly every night with a wet towel - not major cleaning).

- Keep playroom straightened (his sisters also have this chore) 

- Sweep the kitchen floor after dinner. 

- put his dish in dishwasher after meals.

(we are adding - take trash to corner on Fridays this summer).

• Options

DS is 8. I expect him to:

- Keep his room tidy.

- Put away his folded clothes.

- Take his used cups/dishes to the sink and rinse them.

- Keep his stuff put away downstairs (ie, hang up his backpack, put away any toys at the end of the day, place his shoes by the door, etc)

- Clean "his" bathroom (I hand him a box of clorox wipes and tell him I want the sink, counter, and toilet clean.) 

That's most of the daily stuff. We sometimes/often ask him to:

- Wipe down kitchen table before a meal

- Set the table

- Feed & water the dog

- Help empty the dishwasher (he cannot reach a lot of things) 

He has more stuff that he can do if he wants to earn money, like-

- Sweep stairs (we have two sets, he gets $.50 for each)

- Pull weeds ($1)

- Sweep out mudroom ($.50)

He's fully capable of doing all the stuff I listed. Sometimes it's not done the way I would do it. We're working with him on doing laundry; I think when he's 10 doing his laundry will become his job. 

my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"