Multiples

Officially on Maternity Leave Today - Mixed Feelings

I am 34w 5d. My C-section is scheduled for 38 weeks so if I last that long I will be on leave for 3 weeks before babies arrive. The problem is that I only get 12 weeks total leave from work, starting from the day my dr takes me off work. I tried to plan ahead and avoid this by scheduling vacation time the week before the scheduled c-sec. That way I could have my full 12 weeks of FMLA after the babies arrived. I had planned on going to work tomorrow and working the remainder of this week at least. But, since my dr told me today no more work, I had no choice but to tell my manager and HR that dr is taking me off work so my 12 weeks of FMLA start today. There was too much of a gap between today and my scheduled time off.  Now the babies will only be 9-10 weeks old when I have to go back to work. My pregnancy had been going so smoothly until 33 weeks but since then my BP has been consistently high. I am really tired and just walking to the bathroom is a chore so the thought of going back to work even for another week was not appealing at all, so in a way I'm relieved. I am just really annoyed that I only get off 12 weeks total including time before babies arrive. Thanks for letting me vent.

6 year old daughter

Fraternal boys born on May 11, 2013 at 36 weeks 4 days

Re: Officially on Maternity Leave Today - Mixed Feelings

• Sounds just like the day I had.. I'm 35 weeks and 2 days.  My blood pressure finally crept up and my Dr. said no more work.  I have the sick time to take/ and FMLA, but do to crazy HR rules and when our contract for the new year starts I may miss out on a pay period. It is complicated and confusing, I work at a school .But I totally feel you. I was planning on at least finishing up this week too. Just remind yourself it is to keep you and the twins healthy. That is what I keep telling myself.
  • I hear ya, this is my biggest fear right now, like if I end up on bedrest for 10 weeks or something and then only get 2 weeks off once they're born...just thinking about it makes me sad :(
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • America's maternity and paternity leave is horrible. Not only do most places let you only have up to 12 weeks, but it is unpaid unless you have sick time. I've had friends who have had to go back after 6 weeks because they can't afford not to work. Maybe some day America will get it.
  • imagemavargo:
    America's maternity and paternity leave is horrible. Not only do most places let you only have up to 12 weeks, but it is unpaid unless you have sick time. I've had friends who have had to go back after 6 weeks because they can't afford not to work. Maybe some day America will get it.

Agreed! I wish America didn't come off as so anti-mom/anti-family!

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"