January 2013 Moms

Transition to Work How Was/Is It?

Mobile: Transition to Work How Was/Is It?

I am supposed to go back to work this coming week and I really don't want to but will probably have to go for at least a while to placate my husband and help transition our finances. I loved my job before getting preggers but I want to take care of DD instead of paying someone else to watch her grow up. Just thinking about it makes me cry :

Has anyone transitioned back to work yet? How long have you been back and are you still feeling depressed about leaving your LO?

Re: Transition to Work How Was/Is It?

• 3rd week and its better. Its just become our routine now.  I really try to get the most of our evenings and weekends.

I try not to look at it as someone else watching her grow up or raising her while she's at daycare.  I just see their roll as doing the crap work (naps, feedings) so that I can work! I'm the one who gets to have fun with her on evenings and weekends!  It takes a village to raise a child so I think having her with other people during the day isn't a bad thing at all.  Thinking like this just makes me feel better about it.

William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I go back tomorrow. I'm really sad about it and have shed a lot of tears, but I'm trying to think of all the positives. I like my job too. I am looking forward to getting a paycheck again and being able to afford things for DS, save for college, go on vacations, etc.

Also, I've never allowed myself to think of it as "paying someone else to watch him grow up." You will ALWAYS be the momma regardless of who she spends time with from 8-5 during the week or whatever. Letting yourself feel that way will only make you feel worse. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm looking for a full time job as well and not looking forward to leaving him : I just don't want him to be scared! But I spoke with the provider,it's an inhome daycare, and they'll let me drop him off for a couple hours before he starts going full time to ease the transition.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I concur with what others have said, the anticipation is way worse than doing it.  The first two days were rough for me but after that it was just part of the routine and it wasn't so bad.  There are some days where I still don't want to leave him in the morning, especially when he's being extra cute but it's not so bad.  He's extra happy to see me in the afternoons and we still have tons of fun.

You'll be ok, give her lots of hugs and kisses then leave, you both will be alright.  It's even kind of nice to use both hands to do things and have conversations that don't include the word "poop". 

My Blog: Sewing, crafting, motherhood, computers, and random musings... Sleep is for the weak

• I will be going back to work next Monday so Im in the same boat as you. Im hearing that the anticipation is a lot worse than actually going back and that its harder on us than it is on our little ones. I too cant stop thinking that Im paying someone else to enjoy seeing my DD smiles and all her cuteness. Im wishing you an easy transition back to work!
  • I already went through this with ds so you'd think I would be better this time around with dd, but no. Not even close. I also go back tomorrow. I wanted to ease her into the daycare (an in-home for now...switching to a center in a few months), but I just can't bring myself to let her go before I have to. And today she had her 4 month shots, so not a good day to try it out. So tomorrow it is... I was completely broken up over it, but am feeling a little better now since I decided to switch daycares. My anxiety over the situation just highlighted some concerns I had with our current daycare, so I've felt better ever since we decided to switch and secured a spot for both kids at a great place. The thing that sucks is that as soon as she is used to this place she'll need to change again. So that feels hard and crappy. I do have a great job though, so I am trying to just be appreciative of that. I know it isn't paying someone else to watch them grow up, but I just worry about nobody being as senisitive to her needs as I can be. Same for ds. It's hard letting go of control to someone else who you know can't do as good of a job as you can. I guess the key is that if you are definitely going to be working, to find high-quality care and at least know they can provide some resources that you otherwise wouldn't have access to.
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I concur with PP's.  I have been back to work since April 1st, after having 12 weeks off with DD.  The first week was horrible for me, I cried every day I left to go to work, and the first 2 days at work.  However coming home and seeing her smile and so happy to see me helped immensely.  She was so eager to be in my arms when she heard my voice it brought me to tears again.  I am very fortunate though that my mother and my cousin are able to take care of her at home, which helped me, that she would have all of her things that are familiar to her all day, as well as family.  I'm struggling with pumping throughout the day, but my mother and cousin send pictures of her all day long, so I feel like I am not that far away. 

It is still hard, but I just remind myself I am going to work to afford to do things for her as well as remembering the big grin and all the love I get from her when I come home.  Trust me I didn't want to go back either, but it was a necessary evil.  Good luck to you and I am here if you need to chat more... 

~Misty
  • I've been back to work for 6 weeks now.  It's been fine.  I greatly enjoy putting on normal (albeit slightly larger than pre-pregnancy) clothes and having adult conversations and being able to eat a meal without rushing because I am worried about DD fussing.  I do feel bad sometimes dropping her off in the mornings, when I hand her over to the DCP and she gives me a big smile.  And days like today, when I've essentially been awake since 1:00 AM because she wouldn't go back to sleep until 5:00, really suck when I am trying to get through meetings and concentrate on papers.  However, I think it is better for both of us to have some time apart - she is getting more stimulation and interaction with other people than she would have at home, and I am enjoying our hours together in the evenings and on weekends much more than when we were together 24/7.  

Pumping is still a PITA though.   

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby248 - ETA 1/10/13
  • The first week sucks. Second week feels much better. I'm starting to lose that "woe is me" feeling lol. It helps that DD is doing really well at daycare. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageWild_flower25:
    3rd week and its better. Its just become our routine now.nbsp; I really try to get the most of our evenings and weekends.
    I try not to look at it as someone else watching her grow up or raising her while she's at daycare.nbsp; I just see their roll as doing the crap work naps, feedings so that I can work!nbsp;I'm the one who gets to have fun with her on evenings and weekends!nbsp; It takes a village to raise a child so I think having her with other people during the day isn't a bad thing at all.nbsp; Thinking like this just makes me feel better about it.

This! Plus, I feel like a better mom when in with them. I appreciate it more!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I start tomorrow.  I'm happy to hear that it does get easier, and that the anticipation is worse than actually going.  I wish you good luck OP.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Falling in Love!  November 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"