January 2013 Moms

May not be able to continue BFing... :-(

So I am curious if anyone else is having issues with breast feeding?  I have been BFing since DD was born, and while on maternity leave for 12 weeks, she received only breast milk, once in a while a bottle of formula if I just couldn't satiate her.  Now that I am back to work, and was never able to produce anything by way of pumping, she receives formula throughout the day while I am at work and I pump during the day (2-3times at work and only getting 3-4 ounces), and then she gets breast milk when I come home.  Unfortunately after this weekend it doesn't seem like I am producing enough to not only fulfill her needs, but certainly not enough to pump for a supply while I am gone.  It makes me terribly sad to think I might not be able to continue to BF.  While I know formula will work for her, I just don't want to dry up or not be able to do it all together.  I am taking 9 Fenugreek per day as well as 9 blessed thistle a day, and 2-3 Shatavari per day.  I tried the Reglan early on to try and boost the production, but it did not help at all.  So I did not continue it.  Anyone else thinking they may have to stop early?  If so, is anyone else terribly saddened by this?  I was in tears this morning just thinking I may have to quit if I dry up....
~Misty

Re: May not be able to continue BFing... :-(

• I stopped after 12 weeks because my supply went down. I also tried frenugreek but it made my LO have tummy problems. My DD is now formula fed and seems to be adjusting pretty well. I had so much guilt for stopping because I knew I could produce milk if I just pumped more frequently. This was the hardest part for me, knowing I can provide milk even if its a small amount but chose not to. I felt as if I was depriving her. If you make the tough decision to stop, just know that everything will be ok. Once I got over the guilt, I was able to see how much easier my life is. My baby is thriving and happy:
  • That's hard :(

Also, keep in mind, breastfeeding does not have to be all or nothing.  It's not uncommon at all for moms to have trouble responding to the pump, it's just not the same as nursing.  Any amount of breastmilk you give your baby for as long as you give it to them is beneficial.  So, even if you can't keep your supply up enough to keep her on 100% breastmilk it doesn't mean you have to quit completely.  You can do both breastmilk and formula if you still have an interest in breastfeeding.  

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh I absolutely have an interest in continuing to breast feed, I was just feeling sad because I've noticed that my supply is continuing to dwindle and I am not sure how long I will be able to do it.  I love the bonding and the facial expressions she makes.  Granted I do bottle feed as well because of low supply, and I will keep BFing until I am completely dried up.  Just feeling sad because I was hoping to BF exclusively until about a year, but I know every woman is different.  Thank you for the feedback, I just needed to know I wasn't out of my mind for being sad about it.
    ~Misty
  • Oh no, you're totally not wrong for feeling sad.  It's a very emotionally charged subject.  It's hard when things don't work the way you're hoping. 

I'm lending support as someone who isn't able to breastfeed.  I have insufficient glandular tissue which causes an extremely low supply for me.  I nurse as long as possible.  With DS I had to stop at 2 weeks so that he would take formula from a bottle.  With DD she went back and forth between bottle and breast beautifully, but at 3 weeks she just started refusing the breast.  I figured it would happen, but was sad that it happened so soon.  I thought things were going better with her than they had with DS. 

Whatever happens, just know you're doing a great job!  You're trying to make it work and your baby is getting the benefits of breastmilk even if you can't keep up 100%.  IMO it's even more of an accomplishment to keep things going when things aren't going as they should.  Breastfeeding is hard work no matter how you slice it, but when you have outside factors working against you it's even harder.  ((hugs)) 

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I had trouble the first week of work, but now its better.  I get 3-5 oz per session.  I eat oatmeal everyday and mother's milk tea.  Some days its not quite enough so I pump twice on Saturday and Sundays and that gives me just enough extra.
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thank you so much.  I really appreciate that.  It was what I needed to hear.  God bless my DH but he doesn't get it, and I don't know how to explain it.  But I am glad she can go back and forth easily as well.  Thank you again.
    ~Misty
  • I am only getting 3-4 ounces in total for the day.  I don't supplement throughout the night either as she doesn't eat as much as she does throughout the day.  I am trying to have "daycare" (mom/ and cousin) give her at least 4 ounces of breast milk during the day so she can still have some of it when I am not around. 

Thank you for the support, I absolutely love breast feeding and the connection it gives us, and the look on her face when she watches me as she is eating. 

How do you message people individually on this site?  I would love another mommy to chat with from time to time...

~Misty
  • Have you seen a lactation consultant yet? They are covered by insurance under the new healthcare act, so you might want to see one if you can.

I had some supply issues early on and the LC told me to just pump for 1015 minutes after each feeding and later to throw in an extra pumping session or two a day. Milk is supply demand so in theory if you up your pumping sessions, in a few days you should get more milk. Also are you pumping/bfing every 23 hours? If not, try that for a week and see what happens. Also drink plenty of water and relax when you pump.

I started out only getting 0.5 oz per session and now get about 3.5.

Best of luck!!!
  • imagesbevmc09:

That's hard :(

Also, keep in mind, breastfeeding does not have to be all or nothing.  It's not uncommon at all for moms to have trouble responding to the pump, it's just not the same as nursing.  Any amount of breastmilk you give your baby for as long as you give it to them is beneficial.  So, even if you can't keep your supply up enough to keep her on 100% breastmilk it doesn't mean you have to quit completely.  You can do both breastmilk and formula if you still have an interest in breastfeeding.  

What she said. Also ask about Domperidone. Amazing stuff.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"