Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Pink eye

Anyone have tips for applying the ointment to my toddler, who screams and fights me when I go near her eyes!?  

I'm on my own today, so other than literally pinning her down and hoping I don't squish her, anyone have tricks that have worked with their LO's?  

Normally, she loves taking medicine, so I gave her the dropper filled with water thinking I could distract her, but no such luck.

TIA 

Eff Yeah! Mighty Ducks
Oct '14 September Siggy Challenge
Teenage Crush

DD: E, 8/20/11
DS: N, 7/11/13

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Pink eye

• Options
    Try swaddling her in a blanket or towel to hold her arms and upper body still.  That makes it a little bit easier, but it is still likely to be a struggle.  Good luck!  I have been through this with both kids and it is no fun.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    When DS had pinkeye I would sit cross legged on the ground with my legs wrapped around his arms and body and his head in my lap.I would use one hand to open the eye and the other hand to do the drops. I would go from the top of his head so he couldn't see it coming. He would struggle but it was over quickly.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This was so hard for us too.  My friend told us her doctor suggested putting the drop in the inner corner of the eye.  When they open the eye, it falls in.  That's if you can get them to hold their head still when they open the eye.  That worked for us sometimes.  Otherwise, it was definitely baby wrestling...I hated every minute of it.  I'm sure he didn't get as many drops as he should have, but the pink eye still got better. 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  It's actually not drops, just ointment, but it's still like wrestling an alligator (I think!).  I just want to make sure I'm getting it where it's supposed to go.  I'll try the swaddling in a towel and the bear hug.  Then she's really in for it!
    Eff Yeah! Mighty Ducks
    Oct '14 September Siggy Challenge
    Teenage Crush

DD: E, 8/20/11
    DS: N, 7/11/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagejmw222:
    Thanks everyone.  It's actually not drops, just ointment, but it's still like wrestling an alligator (I think!).  I just want to make sure I'm getting it where it's supposed to go.  I'll try the swaddling in a towel and the bear hug.  Then she's really in for it!

If it's just the ointment, just get it in the eyes. I usually do it while DD is eating...I just put some on my finger and rub her entire eye. She looks like she has aquaphor all over her eyes, but it always gets in there. It works. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    we're currently dealing with our second case of pink eye in the last 6 months.  Thankfully, she's fighting me a LOT less than the last time.  My only advice is to just pin her down - that's what I had to do before.  It was awful for both of us, but there wasn't anything else we could do!
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"