July 2012 Moms
Options

Picking up food with fingers?

Mine just seem to play with it! Any tips how you got yours to feed themselves?

Re: Picking up food with fingers?

• Options
    It helps if they see us eat it too. So I will pick up a piece of food, eat it and say "yum!"  Or I will let them try it first by feeding them directly.  Also give them plenty of times to practice, especially with puffs. Those are pretty easy to grab since they're a good size and not slippery.  Sometimes it takes them a little while to try something new but eventually they will just pick it up and start eating. 
  • Options
    imagedbliesmer:

imageJennMM:
    It took DD quite a while to be able to do it well. Even then, she wouldn't eat it. She has only just in the past month really started eating well with her fingers. I pretty much just kept offering her easy finger foods and eventually she got it.

This.  Basically it's just learned so the more you offer finger foods the easier it may be.  I started with a lot of puffs and Mums, but sometimes had to feed her a few to let her know they were actually food and that she wanted them.  Lots of practice.

Ditto all of this.  I started with things that are easier to pick up, like Puffs, Mum Mums and bread.  The squisher stuff kept falling apart or he didn't like the texture and wouldn't try. 

Dating since 3.8.2008. Married since 6.4.2011. Bryson born on 6.28.2012
     CafeMom Tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Are they interested in eating that food?  For example, if you put it in their mouth, would they eat it?

Something like the Gerber Puffs might be easier because they are bigger than Cheerios and not slimy like fruit.

https://www.whattoexpect.com/first-year/week-28/pincer-grasp.aspx

Here is an article about how to encourage the Pincer Grasp.  Not sure if they have mastered it yet or if they just aren't interested in the food.

image image
                      Ayden & Sydney

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"