Babies: 9 - 12 Months

brown spots on teeth!! ??!

My son got his first two teeth (bottom front) about 2 months ago and they have always been nice and white since they popped up, and then two days ago I noticed they had brownish splotches on them. The spots do not brush off. Of course I am thinking the worst- baby bottle tooth decay. I don't know how that could be, we've been brushing his little teeth and gums every night and he doesn't go to bed with a bottle or sippy cup.  Anyone ever experience this or know what else it could be?!  I am freakin out!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: brown spots on teeth!! ??!

• Do you have fluoridated water?
  • It could be due to too much fluoride in your water. Both my sister and I have this problem from when we were children. Luckily, you can do things to make it fade. Do you make his bottle from the tap or use a toothpaste that has fluoride in it? If so you might want to consider cutting back on the exposure to fluoride by purchasing some water that doesn't have fluoride so you can make bottles without. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Nope I have never given him tap water.  I buy the jugs of "nursery water" that have no added fluoride.  I made an apt with the ped for tomorrow morning, I'm really hoping its nothing serious!!
  • I thought nursery water had fluoride in it?  It did when DS was a baby anyways.
  • My DD has the same thing and our water does not contain fluoride. DD is BF'd. She has eight teeth, but it's the front bottom two that have the yellow blotches on them.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagewheelsonthebus:
    My DD has the same thing and our water does not contain fluoride. DD is BF'd. She has eight teeth, but it's the front bottom two that have the yellow blotches on them.
    have you found out what it is? my LO is more like brownish gray spots
  • imagehijoi:
    Are you giving your LO vitamins (like poly-vi-sol)?  If you go straight from the dropper, that can happen.

Yes I give him Polyvisol but I mix it in his breakfast.  He also gets other medications in a syringe (Zantac and Nexium) and we just finished a round of Amoxicillin.  Bless his heart

• It might be the antibiotics.  Both my brother and I have tiny ones (my brother more than I) and our pediatricians told my mom they could have been caused by antibiotics.  Not sure if that's still true.
  • My sister has had brown spots on her front teeth that ended up being from medications, antibiotics I believe,  after she had open heart surgery.  
    imageimageimage
  • We had a grey spot. I freaked. Went to a pediatric dentist a few days later and it was a slight chip. She said it was normal and to expect more! 

Call a dentist and have it checked out. Completely worth it! 

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagealdavis78:

We had a grey spot. I freaked. Went to a pediatric dentist a few days later and it was a slight chip. She said it was normal and to expect more! 

Call a dentist and have it checked out. Completely worth it! 

yes, I agree go straight to the dentist- that's what your pedi will have you do anyway. skip the co-pay! :)
  • My 2 year old has two little brown spots on his two front teeth as well. We took him to the dentist last month, and after the dentist looked at him, he asked me if I had been sick during pregnancy. He said that the brown spots are a birth defect that were caused during pregnancy, and then asked if I had a high fever while pregnant. Anyway, he said that they can fill the spots with a sealant, and that his permanent teeth will grow in normally.

Google, "teeth birth defects" and look at the images to see if your son's spots are similar!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"