December 2011 Moms

WWYD... Bit mortified last night..

Last night was DD's First Communion.  Instead of trying to get the house clean and DIY the whole party, we had it at a hotel.  The catering manager knew we were covering the non-alcoholic drinks for our group (because seriously - it's a FIRST COMMUNION party for an 8yo - covering the alcoholic stuff - yea, just not quite right).. 

We got there, I decided to go get myself a sprite while everyone while waiting for the entre' to be served...  I walked in to the bar, ordered my drink and told them to put it on our tab...  The bartender gave me the holier than thou "This is the first I've heard about this, and I've been working all night, there's no group that's covering drinks here, that'll be $3.50"...  I said "I'm the one who set it up with the catering manager, this was all suppose to be taken care of (with a mortified "WTF you charged my guests!" look on my face), but it was suppose to be taken care of" and he gave me more attitude and said not to worry about the cost of my soda..  

We made it pretty clear with the site contact at every going over of the plan for the evening that we didn't need a bar set up in the room because it was only NA's that we were covering but that if someone wanted a soda from the bar downstairs we'd be hosting it.  The guests paid for their drinks and it was mid-late dinner service before it was even caught so it was too late for us to really get them all a refund (~50 guests, probably 20 of which opted for something from the bar)..  They also forgot to have a high chair in the room for DS so thankfully DH took care of that before we got there with our two servers (we asked ahead of time, and then when I went to drop some stuff off that afternoon after they set the room up, it wasn't there so I asked again for one before we got there that evening). 

Where would you go from here with the site???  We obviously can't get a refund on the drinks since we don't know how many there were, nor would it be us wanting the refund because of the obvious...  There's the part of me that wants to just drop it, it was a lovely evening, the high chair thing is pretty petty, overall NBD...  But then there's the manager part of me that says "hey wait a second, we were hosting and my guests were charged for something that we were going to pay for, and how many times did we really need to ask for a high chair"... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: WWYD... Bit mortified last night..

• I would tell them they made the mistake and see what they can do for you. Worst case they offer you some refunded money and you can put it in the bank for your 8 year old. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would definitely contact them and tell them exactly what you told us. It is very disappointing to hear afterward that your guests were charged, even though you wanted to cover the drinks for them. To me that would be a big deal.

I'm sorry that went wrong, but I hope the rest of the day was good! 

DS born 12/2011
    DD born 03/2014

• Loading the player...
  • I would contact them, if you don't get an adequate response, I would use social media.  Do they have a facebook page?  The last thing businesses want is negative press and customer reviews on such a visible site.  I would post on their wall and then see if they respond.
    laying down the law on Oahu's North Shore

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I talked to the site contact today..  It was easy to sense her "wide-eyed" reaction that things she/we had listed weren't carried out, especially when we brought things like the high chair to their attention, not once, but multiple times...  No discounts or anything, but definitely heard and things likely will be passed along. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm glad you talked to them about it, even though they didn't offer you a discount. Hopefully they will be more careful to read the agreements and client wishes from now on!
    DS born 12/2011
    DD born 03/2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"