Cloth Diapering

What to do when they still in hospital?

Ok, we are going to CD our little girl, and I have added some diapers to my Amazon baby registry and will evaluate from there on a stash...I have put a little of everything on there. But my question is this...When they born, and still in hospital, do you just use what they provide, and start the cloth process at home?

Re: What to do when they still in hospital?

• Thats what i did. i did this because I never cloth diapered before and I was a FTM. Im glad I waited 3weeks or i think, personaly, I would have been overwhelmed by eveything. You never know until you try. best wishes! :
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I didn't start until we got home from the hospital. I was there 3 days and 3 nights with a csection and didn't want to have to worry about washing diapers the day I came home.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Loading the player...
  • I took a few with me and put one on DS when we left for home. I had a scheduled section and was at the hospital for 3 days. We didn't have enough dipes for that. I'm glad I waited, even though I'm a veteran CDer.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We didn't have any newborn cloth diapers, so we didn't start CDing until she fit into one-size dipes at around 6 weeks. If we had bought a newborn stash I still probably would have waited until we got home to start. There's a chance a cd could get misplaced in all the hubbub after birth. They're are way too pricy to lose.

• Robi1Robi1 member

FTM here, but we will start from the beginning. The birth center we're birthing at doesn't provide diapers, though, so we'd have to bring something anyway. We'll only be there for a few hours after the birth, so it's not a big deal to bring a few diapers. 

#1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019
  • I used the hospital disposables.  I ended up staying an extra couple of days which would have meant sending DH home with dirties and more time he was away from us.  It was a stressful time work-wise for him, which would have meant one more thing for him to deal with.  We live 2 hours away from the hospital... and I wanted him to be able to spend as much time with us as possible.

That said... now that we are used to CDing and wash routines... we might consider it for a second baby.

• OMG Are you a first time mom??
    I wanted to do cloth and didn't even get into the game till 5 months and I'm glad I waited. I coulda woulda shoulda started a little earlier, but I also thought that with my maternity leave that I would be able to clean the entire house, complete projects that have been on my to do list for months, and save the world. Then I had my baby and realized how much sleep you do not get overnight when you breastfeed (but wouldn't trade that for anything)

I've read a lot of good sites that say they don't start till 6 weeks, just because then the CD's fit better, but if you want to start out of the hospital kudos to you. My hospital gave me free diapers. I used them!!

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We didn't start until eight weeks, which worked well for us.  We are also new to CD and a FTM, so was already feeling overwhelmed with it all.  Plus, we ended up in hospital for a full week after birth due to an infection during labour.  At about six weeks we went to a cloth diaper workshop to learn more. I highly recommend this for first time users.
  • We didn't start CDing DD until she was 5 months old. With DS, I plan to use hospital sposies until the last diaper change before we leave.
  • I'm a FTM and I started in the hospital. I read blogs of people who'd done it to get some pointers. I ended up with an uncomplicated natural delivery (48h stay here), and I live 5 min from the hospital, so NBD if we needed something from home. I did have eco friendly disposables in my hospital bag though in case of an emergency that would've kept me at the hospital longer. I gave my labour nurse the diaper and hat i wanted put on at birth. Other than that she was skin to skin til we dressed her in our room. Nothing got lost at the hospital, DH and I did all but one diaper change. we just put a card on the cot saying the clothes and diapers are our own. For the PP that said FTMs can't handle CDs right away-it is honestly no different than changing a disposable. The laundry is so easy, and a wet bag of newborn dipes is light enough even for a c section mom to carry. I'd compare it to taking out the garbage of sposies. And meconium didn't stain any of my diapers. If you prepare well and have a back up plan it's totally feasible. Also, DH had never changed a diaper so I wanted him to learn cloth from the start. He tried both cloth and sposies in the hospital and found lil joeys easier to put in than sposies. 

CD isn't all or nothing though, and whatever you feel will work is best. I just wanted to say that it is possible.

• I'm waiting until I get home, I dont want to have to transport dirty diapers back to the house.

Pregnancy Ticker

• We did use CD's at the hospital, but not until the day that we were going home. I didn't want to start right away, end up staying longer due to issues and then going home to have to start a load of laundry. This way I got the best of both worlds. Got to show the hospital staff some fluff and I did a load of CD's the 3rd day that we were home.
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"