Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Hormones and your weight after baby

The highest I saw on the scale while I was pregnant was 167 pounds (which is a total of 23 pounds gained from before I was pregnant). I lost 15 or so pounds after having DS, and from the time he was born, I gained almost all of it back (I now weigh 160). For my body structure and height I should weigh between 125 and 140, so I am, at the least, 20 pounds overweight.

Is it true that hormones are still trying to get back to normal, and this is why I'm overweight?

Is anyone else out there more than 20 pounds overweight, or still trying to work of the pregnancy weight? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hormones and your weight after baby

• Options

I have always been told it takes 9 months to put on the weight, so it can take 9 months to take it back off, sometimes. That and you could also have a slowing metabolism. I know that is a huge difference in weight loss with my two pregnancies. With DD1, I was back to my pre-baby weight within a month and stayed there. DD2, I gained 50 pounds, and am still 30 pounds from where I want to be. I am BFing, so the extra 500 calories doesn't feel like it is really helping me lose weight, but I am trying to stay active and eat healthy. If I am not within 10 pounds of my pre-baby weight by the time DD2 is 9 months, then I am going to be one sad panda.

As long as you are living an active and healthy lifestyle, the weight will come off, just be patient and good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • Options

I just noticed in the last week that I seem to be losing some.  I had about 10 pounds left to get back to the weight I was before pregnancy, and I could honestly stand to lose another 10 pounds after that.  I was waiting until the weather turned nicer to really start working at it...well the weather has been hit or miss and I haven't changed anything but my belly seems like it's finally starting to not stick out as much as before!  I don't own a scale, so that's all I can go off of.

I think time has definitely helped, now I just need to do my part.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I gained 65 lbs and still have 40 to lose. It's miserable!
  • Options
    My son was born on Oct 8th as well :) I gained 34 total during my pregnancy and am still hanging on to 20lbs despite training for a half marathon.  I too am frustrated and hope it will come off in the next few months.  My scale has not budged since January and I am very discouraged as well...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagesjduquette:
    My son was born on Oct 8th as well :) I gained 34 total during my pregnancy and am still hanging on to 20lbs despite training for a half marathon.  I too am frustrated and hope it will come off in the next few months.  My scale has not budged since January and I am very discouraged as well...

I think I can blame hormones then, if you still have 20lbs "left over" and you're training for a half marathon, except I'm not training for a half marathon...hmmm...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageLatham12:
    I gained 65 lbs and still have 40 to lose. It's miserable!

I gained 45 and have only lost 12! But yes, hormones play a big part in it. I just recently found out I have a thyroid condition, which started post
    pregnancy. I've never had thyroid issues in my life. It can make you gain weight instead of lose and it's related
    to your hormones.

ChristyML, sounds like maybe you just need to give it a little more time. Maybe see if your Dr has any advice?

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"