Baby Showers
Options

double baby shower?

my best friend and i are only a week apart in our pregnancies. i was thinking about suggesting a dpuble baby shower since we have the same friends and we would invite each others family. has anybody had a double baby shower? and how has it turned out? good or bad?

Re: double baby shower?

• Options
    If you did this, ONLY invite people who would be invited to both of your individual showers. If you would not invite her family to yours, then they shouldnt be invited to a double shower. And vice versa. Because they WILL feel they have to buy both of you gifts.

And really how would the gift opening work? Would you both go at the same time, or take turns and take twice as long?

Honestly, I wouldnt do this.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

imageEastCoastBride:
    If you did this, ONLY invite people who would be invited to both of your individual showers. If you would not invite her family to yours, then they shouldnt be invited to a double shower. And vice versa. Because they WILL feel they have to buy both of you gifts. And really how would the gift opening work? Would you both go at the same time, or take turns and take twice as long? Honestly, I wouldnt do this.

i hadnt thought about the gift opening, thanks!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sure you mean well but I don't think it would be a great idea.
  • Options

imageEastCoastBride:
    If you did this, ONLY invite people who would be invited to both of your individual showers. If you would not invite her family to yours, then they shouldnt be invited to a double shower. And vice versa. Because they WILL feel they have to buy both of you gifts. And really how would the gift opening work? Would you both go at the same time, or take turns and take twice as long? Honestly, I wouldnt do this.

I agree with this.

I was invited to a shower for my good friend and her sister-in-law a few years ago - same scenario.  It was very awkward as I definitely wouldn't have been invited to the SIL's shower and would not have bought her a gift - but I felt completely obligated to since it was a shower for both of them. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BFP #1 ~ 1/26/2010 ~ MMC @ 6w6d discovered @ 11w3d ~ D&C 3/16/10
    BFP #2 ~ 4/22/2010 ~ EDD 12/29/2010 ~ Born 12/19/2010 ~ My Rainbow Baby
    BFP #3 ~ 6/10/2012 ~ EDD 2/20/2013 ~ HB 100bpm @ 9w3d ~ M/C 7/11/2012
    BFP #4 ~ 3/16/2013 ~ EDD 11/20/2013 ~ Born 11/17/2013 ~ Rainbow Baby #2
  • Options
    Definitely wouldn't do it. You might be up for a double shower but what if she isn't? Plus the whole opening of gifts times two... that would take forever. I had a double shower  with my SIL, but only with common family so maybe 10 people? I wouldn't do it with just a friend. Enjoy your day and let her have her own.
    Married - July 2010, DD - April 2011, #2 EDD August 10, 2013
  • Options

I was invited to a shower for a double shower for a friend, and some other woman I had never heard of.  I didn't go because I would never show up at a shower without a gift, but wasn't willing to buy something for a total stranger. 

I wouldn't do it. 

• Options

I agree with the others.  Probably not the best idea...especially since this person is not a family member.  I've only gone to one shower that was a double and that was 2 sisters.  One was a bridal shower and the other a baby shower...so kind of different.  I am an aunt to both of them so it was equal.

I have gone to 3-4 birthday parties that were for 2.  A friend of mine seems to think this is a great way to save money...she has her DD's party with another kid.  Well, I NEVER know the other kid.  The first time was a little boy and I didn't have a gift for him...it was so awkward.  The other times were little girls and I learned to ask in advance and always took a small gift for the other birthday girl.  It was still kind of awkward because when they opened the gift the little girl didn't know who to thank and neither did the parents since neither of them knew me from Adam.  lol

• Options
    The only double shower I've been to was a work shower, so everyone knew both moms to be. It would've been totally fine, if one mom hadn't run out of gifts before the other [They alternated opening]. That felt pretty awkward.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Natural miscarriage @ 5w2d 5/25/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The idea of double shower is new to me. But after hearing,  It sounds like fun. I think you can do this but as EastCoastBride said I totally agree with her. Invite Only the people who would be invited to both of your individual showers otherwise it may create some awkward situation for your guests.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"