Blended Families
Options

Birthday vent... guns and stealing gift ideas

XH originally told me he was getting DS, who is turning 6 in May, a basketball hoop for his birthday. I told him I was getting him a bike. He then tells me a few days later that he is also getting him a bike, and a basketball hoop. It pissed me off that he stole my birthday idea, especially since I've already bought the bike, but I let it go.

He called me a while ago saying now, on top of those two big things, and a few other little things, he would like to also buy him a pellet gun.

I don't know if you guys remember or not, but this is the man who I had to call CPS on because he had a unlocked semiautomatic pistol, with two LOADED clips within a few inches of my kid in room that they were allowed access too without supervision. My two year old at the time was less than a foot from this weapon when I went to check on her and found her playing next to it.

He said he wants to buy the gun to teach him gun safety, and that he will keep it locked up with his other guns and only take it out for supervised use. I don't trust him to keep him safe with it, or to teach him to be safe. I told him he has a lot to prove from the last stunt before I agree to that. He said 'whatever', and 'why can't you work with me'.

If he keeps the pelet gun locked up with his real guns I'm afraid DS will try to get into the gun case, which his Dad is clearly not good at keeping secure, and there could be deadly consequences. The whole thing makes me sick to my stomach.

And I know this is getting super long, and I'm on my phone so there are typos, but the first part of the vent goes back to, why does he feel the need to buy him tons of big gifts, including the same big gift I got him at my house. I know him well and I know its just so that DS will get more/better at his house. He tries to buy his affections and always tries to out do anything I do for them.

End vent!

Re: Birthday vent... guns and stealing gift ideas

• Options

Having a young boy have a gun would make me uncomfortable, but I'm not sure there's anything you can do about it.

And to avoid the stealing gift dilemma - don't tell him next time. Also, I don't think DS having a bike at both houses is

• Options
    The bike - pretty typical gift for that age NBD he will love them both The pellet gun - big deal and I would try my best to get him to wait IDK why he would think he should teach gun safety to DC when he doesn't seem to understand gun safety. No ma
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know the bike should be NBD, but he already has a bike there, a good one. XH is deliberately buying him a new better one because he can and he knows I am. He is also getting him other big things. I guess even though I know its petty, deep down I'm afrai
  • Options

imageSimpleJane:
    I know the bike should be NBD, but he already has a bike there, a good one. XH is deliberately buying him a new be
  • Options

On the subject of guns- if he insists on getting one for DS, I would suggest you personally enroll your child in a gun safety class as well as lessons.  It will teach him a newfound and healthy respect for guns.  If Xh is leaving guns out, I

• Options
    Don't turn gifts into a competition between you and your ex.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

It may take time to see, but kids don't see price tags.  The WOW wears off quickly.

Example: DD got a DS from exh.  When she came home the only thing she could talk about doing was the paper dolls we had gotten her.  Exh has litt

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"