Oklahoma Babies

Fifth Disease

My daughter's school recently had a few kiddos with Fifth Disease. Then, I heard of another case in a nearby school district. According to my research, it can be dangerous to fetuses early on in pregnancy. Doc said to keep my daughter home for the week until things clear up. I'm freaking out wondering if I should quarantine us for a long time. She didnt offer to test my blood to see if I was positive for it. Any other Oklahomans seeing incidents of this in your area?

Re: Fifth Disease

• I haven't heard of this but now I'm on board with you.  I'm early in my pregnancy with my second and my daughter goes to a daycare with school age children.  What should I be looking for?
    This is #2. I am 23 and my beautiful daughter will be 4 this summer. DH is 24 and a wonderful step-dad. We are so excited TTC since December 2012.
  • Check out this link
    https://www.cdc.gov/parvovirusb19/pregnancy.html

The problem is it usually doesn't become apparent until the rash appears and then the contagious period is over. My doc had me tested...just a simple blood test and is having me get a level two ultrasound at 18 weeks. She was most concerned about direct exposure with your own child. My daughter's pediatrician said good hand washing hygiene is super important.
  • Loading the player...
  • My 10-month old got it and I'm in first tri. Kinda freaking out, but I went to get the blood work done and I'm waiting for the results. Firstly, even if you were exposed, about 50% of pregnant women are immune due to prior exposure. If you're in the 50% that aren't, the odds are still fairly good that it won't affect the pregnancy. Most likely, your OB will order extra ultrasounds and monitoring, but in 19/20 cases, there's not real effect and everything is fine.

GL! Wish us luck, too! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"