Military Families

Birthing Center and TriCare?

I am considering a birthing center. Anyone know if tricare will cover a birthing center. They are the only place that will offer a water birth? And, before I get the "why would you go natural" questions I can not have an epidural my spine is fused and I am allergic to most pain medications. I was just wondering if anyone tried any alternative delivery options with tricare. 
IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: Birthing Center and TriCare?

• It depends where you are. There are some in-network birthing centers and you might be near one. 

If you find that your birthing center is in-network, then it's covered 100% on Tricare Prime and Tricare Standard.

If it's not in-network you can use Standard and still get some/most of it paid for. I am having a homebirth with an out-of-network midwife. After the birth, her billing company will bill Tricare and I will be reimbursed for what I paid her. There's no guarantee you'll get 100% back, but my MW said her patients usually do.  

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Like Mel said, it depends on where you are.  When I was pregnant, I was able to get a referal to the birth center off post.  Now, you have to pull teeth and sign over your first born to get one.  A friend of mine just switched to standard to be able to go to the BC.  We are at a small post with no MTF, only a clinic.  They expect everyone to drive an hour to a larger base nearby for delivery.  

Also, anyone who would ask you a question like why you want to have a natural birth is an immature asshat who doesn't deserve an answer.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • The hospital I delivered at (I was on Standard and delivered off base) had a birthing center attached to the hospital.  I did not deliver there, but had I wanted to it would have been covered by TriCare. Also, the hospital itself had two labor rooms with birthing tubs (that you could labor and deliver in), so a birthing center is not the only place that has birthing tubs,.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks, but you would be surprised. People have been so rude about my decision. They are like why would you ever do that? Or oh you are one of those...you will change your mind. Even when I tell them I have other medical conditions they are like are you sure? Did you get a second opinion on that? Ugh. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • It is where we are. No hospitals in the area will allow birthing tubs due to Maryland high insurance liability issues. The last hospital took the last tub out when they remodeled and put all showers in. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I would ask whatever birth center you are interested in if they will bill to Tricare. I delivered at a birth center within a hospital under Standard and had no issues even though it was out of network. 
  • imageardecarli:
    Thanks, but you would be surprised. People have been so rude about my decision. They are like why would you ever do that? Or oh you are one of those...you will change your mind. Even when I tell them I have other medical conditions they are like are you sure? Did you get a second opinion on that? Ugh.nbsp;

I'm sorry they're rude to you. You could totally add on that you're trying to make the best possible decision for you and baby. I'm extremely pro natural but what it comes down to is havinga healthy baby and healthy mama.
  • I am currently expecting (27 weeks) and decided to deliver off base. Our hospital is awful and being a FTM, I wanted somewhere that I feel comfortable. It's so much easier to call TriCare directly with any questions you may have. They have been a huge help to me. I switched to standard coverage so I was able to choose my own midwife and hospital network. I was told that pregnancy related claims are covered even on standard. You are locked out of switching back to prime for 1 year, so anything you are seen for after you deliver, you risk having a co pay. Out of pocket max is $1,000 on standard. That to me was worth it for a positive delivery experience. All I can say, is stand up for yourself. Military benefits are great but not always flexible for each person's needs. 

Good luck and congrats!

• I went natural with my first child. It was an amazing experience! I loved that I could get up  walk around and be able to take care of my own child instead of letting meds wear off. 

To answer your question it depends where you are. Tri care north has them in their network. However tri care west doesn't. Even if you just go natural in a hospital it's not bad... that's what I did. I couldn't go to a birth center because I'm a high risk pregnancy.

• imagehgmain10ance:

I went natural with my first child. It was an amazing experience! I loved that I could get up  walk around and be able to take care of my own child instead of letting meds wear off. 

To answer your question it depends where you are. Tri care north has them in their network. However tri care west doesn't. Even if you just go natural in a hospital it's not bad... that's what I did. I couldn't go to a birth center because I'm a high risk pregnancy.

I have TriWest and had a waterbirth in a birthing center in a hospital. They also covered a regular birthing center with no hospital attached. They even covered home waterbirths, so long as the midwife was a CNM.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"