New Jersey Babies
Options

Providing childcare in home

I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to find a child to care for in my home.  I currently work as a nanny and have for 7 years now and have experience with kids from around 18 months to late teens as well as newborn experience through my own son who will be 3 in June.  I am due in June with my 2nd and am thinking of not returning to my current family whom Ive been with for 5 years now as I take my son with me to work but feel like juggling 2, one being an active toddler and the other a newborn, might be a lot and want to find a child or two to watch in my home around Sept/Oct/Nov.  I have profiles up on Care and Sittercity but most of the time people want care inside their home.  I wouldnt mind going to someones home but the money has to make sense if I leave my own children and need to pay for childcare too so am wondering how do you find anyone looking to drop their child off?  I live in a nice 4 bedroom home with a large yard we are fencing in this spring and putting in a playset.  I do have a cat and 2 dogs but they can be easily shut away for the time when others are here if its an issue.  I have gates and plenty of sleeping places for my own kids as well as 1-2 others.  I have plenty of experience with kids and I love working with them too as I find it so rewarding and fun.  I dont know a lot of parents in the area with children though as my own son is still young and not in school yet.  Just wondering how to find someone.  I appreciate the help

Re: Providing childcare in home

• Options

If you don't think you can handle your own two and one or two more at someone else's house, why do you think you'd be able to do it at your own?  When I used a SAHM I found one through a recommendation from someone that had used her and worked with my mom.  I also interviewed someone I found off of care.com.

The reason why I picked the woman that I did was because her kids were school aged, so I wasn't worried about favoritism, and she wasn't going to be driving around with the kids like the other lady I met.  I also talk to alot of moms at parks and we often go to a jump house where I meet other moms.  I have gotten recommendations for daycares from them.  You may have some luck talking to other moms in places like that.  Pregnancy is a great conversation topic and you could probably easily work in that you've been nannying and are hoping to watch some kids at your home after you have the baby, they may know someone who is looking for that.  I've also looked on craigslist but never really found an ad that interested me.

Both woman I met with only watched teachers' kids because they wanted to be home in the summer also.  Since you're looking to take kids between Sept and Nov you many try to aim towards Sept if you're interested in appealing towards teachers. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Teterboro 5K 7/16/11 23:22 Tenafly 5K 6/5/11 26:48 1st in age group and stroller division Teterboro 5K 7/17/10 24:42 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/25/10 28:18 4 1/2 weeks pp Teterboro Airport 5K 7/18/09 22:35 3rd place age group 4 1/2 weeks pregnant Long Branch 1/2 5/3/09 1:51:07 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/26/09 22:22 NJEA 5K 11/7/08 22:30 2nd place age group Westchester 1/2 10/12/08 1:50:16 Teterboro Airport 5K 7/19/08 23:43 Long Branch 1/2 5/4/08 1:54:18 Giant Stadium 5K 4/26/08 error in timing Hackensack 5K 10/14/07 23:55 1st place in age group
  • Options
    Word of mouth. The town I work in a lot of the moms ask the teachers to watch this kids, easier times and schedule. But if you can't handle your own then how can you take more!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wish you lived closer I am looking for someone to watch my baby but im in the sussex county area...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

This isnt directly toward you I just cant figure out how to reply in general to the thread for some reason

Well the reason I dont feel like I can handle working as a nanny and my kids is not because I cant handle watching kids its because I dont want to lug them to the family I care for's home anymore.  Because the kids I watched are older their home has no baby/kids stuff and is full of breakable things (I know as my son broke a vase there around 18 months old)  They dont have safety gates nor would I ever ask them to accommodate me or my children since Im working for them  but the stress of trying to micromanage him and do my job is too stressful and to add another baby of my own on top of it is too much I think.  I use to think it was hard to take my son as an infant but its infinitely harder now that he can move and has an opinion has tantrums and obviously doesnt understand Im at work and cant tend to his every need like I do at home.   I feel when we are home and I have an environment that is set up for children and obviously my son is accustomed to it will be easier and less stressing for me and everyone.  As it is I have to wake him up every morning at 630 and drag him to someone elses home and then plop him in front of the TV and pray he is occupied enough not to wander around touching things that could break and/or hurt him while trying to get my other kids out the door to the bus.  I just dont feel like its fair to him, my kids I watch or myself for such a short period of time (1 hour)  In my own home where things are designated for children and safety precautions are in store its a lot better for everyone as I can walk away for a second and know he is ok.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"