Babies: 3 - 6 Months

I just earned the world's worst mother award.

And I mean it. I told my poor little overly-tired screaming five month old to shut up. And I have been crying for the last half hour about it. I think I have just gotten to my breaking point on overload. My DD is a very demanding little girl. She's impatient, stubborn, and very clingy with mama. I love her to all ends of the earth but I am also not the most patient person in the world. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I try my best to take care of her every need. I play with her and hold her and try to comfort her, but it just seems like she is always crabbing at me about something and I know it's not from teething. I don't know if it's my imagination or if she is really that discontent. Naps are a battle and nighttime is worse. I think part of it is that she is up a TON. Last night she was up just about every hour. She ends up in our bed about halfway through the night because I am too tired to sit up and nurse her. She wakes up consistently every hour and a half or so starting at midnight and I know it's because she doesn't wake up enough to get a full feeding. She just wakes up and wants a snack then falls back to sleep.  I feel like such an a**hole right now because it seems like I am surrounded by these happy moms and babies and here I am telling my baby to please shut up and go to sleep so I can have a break. What a rotten mama. She deserves better than this.

Re: I just earned the world's worst mother award.

• Don't be so hard on yourself. We have all been there. It's tough when LO cries all of the time and nothing you do seems to make it better. I have told DS to shut up. You could always say it in a pleasant voice, then you get your frustration out and DD won
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • We have all been there. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar. Having a high-needs infant is stressful, to put it lightly. Is there any way you can take a day/night off? Have LO stay with someone, or even just put your husband in chage of wakesups on night
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • You're not doing anything wrong. As I've learned from having two kids, babies are very different. DS was a breeze as a baby and DD is much like your LO. No matter what you do you just can't fix it sometimes. We all reach our breaking point. She's tiny. It

• I rarely post on here, but I read your post and can totally relate. If I haven't used the words shut up yet, I have certainly thought them. I "ssshhed" my DD so badly the other night that she screamed out of fear. We all have breaking points. Anyone who s
  • imagemabenner1:
    We have all been there. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar.

This!

It's the secret

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I tell my baby to shut up all the time. DD is a handful and she doesn't know what I'm saying so I don't feel bad. I try to give DD everything she needs & when she's colicky for an hour or two I don't feel bad telling her to shut up. I usually say i

• You are definetly being too hard on yourself. I think we all have those moments. I know I have. Sometimes you just need to lay LO down and walk away for a couple of minutes. None of us are perfect. Hope you are feeling better soon.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 46808 845377924360 2036704678 n

WIMG950372 1

• Yep, been there. It sounds like this doesn't happen every day since you feel so horrible about it, so take that as a good thing! You aren't a bad mother, you had a moment that doesn't happen very often and your patience ran a little thin. It will come bac
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Woah, don't be so hard on yourself. Moms that are saying they are constantly happy are total liars. The truth to mommy hood is that there are moments that you want to punt kick your baby, and it's pretty normal. I have told my child to shut her trap an

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • In the words of my son's pedi, ''when it comes to a fussy baby, you just have to try all the bouncing, rocking, shushing, etc. and try not to throw them out a window in the process''. This made me LOL. Take it easy on yourself, mama. We've ALL been there.
  • Also, I think it needs to be noted that child rearing/parenting isn't always sugar n spice and everything nice. Some days just flucking suck! Take a deep breath. And have a glass or two of wine tonight.
  • I said a lot worse about a month ago to my DD.  I felt like crap but got over it.  We all have our moments! 
  • imagebonchat21:
    And I mean it. I told my poor little overlytired screaming five month old to shut up. And I have been crying for the las
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you all so much for the encouragement! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one struggling! It's hard being a mama. We should all get a big box of chocolate and a bottle of wine every Friday night just for making it through the week!
  • You are being too hard on yourself. Being a mom is the hardest job on earth. Give yourself a break.

BabyFruit Ticker

• You just described my DD. Naps are a battle and she gets up at 12:30am, give or take 30 minutes, and then is up every hour to snack until 5 or 6 am. I also have a 2.5yearold who is a great sleeper but starting to drop naps. I am so tired and irritable!! S
  • You need to start sleep training. It sounds like she is waking up and is using you to get back to sleep. Doesn't sound like snacking, she's nursing herself back to sleep. Then needs you once the next sleep cycle is over
  • I'm sorry to say shut up has come out of my mouth a few times too... not the end of the world!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have totally told my baby to shut up a few times, but usually the tone of voice is happy and sing song.  I've also put him in his crib, closed the door and turned up the TV/radio so mommy could have 5 minutes to finish her first meal of the day at
  • lol I've sung shut up to my LO. I use my baby voice and sing 'shut up shut up shut up Please shut up'

They cant understand the words you use but get a lot from your tone. I just wouldnt get in the habit of saying it = )

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"