Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Time to drop 2nd nap?

My son is 13 months old.  He has always been a great napper- two 2-hour naps consistently.  He goes down for his first nap about 3 1/2-4 hours after he wakes, usually around 9-930am.  He usually went down for his nap around 1:30-2:30pm.  He would wake from his last nap no later than 4pm and then would be down for the night at 8pm.

About two weeks ago he started to be difficult to put down at night.  He went from taking a bottle and being rocked for about 5 minutes before he fell asleep to tossing and turning and playing in his crib for at least 30 minutes before he would fall asleep.  I thought it was just a phase so I just went with it.  Then about three days after that started, he began refusing to go down for his second nap.  His first nap was just fine but he would absolutely not take his second nap even though he is visibly exhausted. 

Problem is, he wakes up from his first nap at 11:30 at the very latest and doesnt go down again until 8pm....so by the time 5-6pm rolls around, he is exhausted, crabby, and overtired which means more frequent night wakings. 

I'm not sure what to do.  I think he is still a bit young to drop the second nap, right? 

Re: Time to drop 2nd nap?

• Options
    You could try to put him down for a nap around 11:00 and move up his bedtime. It sounds like he might do well with that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You need to drop the first nap.  My girls would take long morning naps and then stopped sleeping durning their afternoon one.   So what I did was put them down around 10:30am the 1st time...and then slowly pushed it back the more they got u
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"