Birth Stories

Andrew's birth story

My due date was 1/2/13 and that day came and baby and I was HUGE, lol, and super uncomfortable. I didnt have any signs of labor. I think I had to pee about every 15-20minutes. I was sleeping on the couch sitting up because I had horrible acid reflux. I went to doctor that Friday and was told I had reached maximun capacity and we had to be scheduled for an induction. I was still at the same 1cm and 80% effaced as I had been the past 3 weeks.

I was scheduled to be induced at 6:00am on 1/8/13, but I was put on hold for 12 hours because a bed wasn't available. Apparently 1/8/13 was a popular day for a lot of babies. So I was getting more and more annoyed thinking I would never get to deliver my baby and I wasnt about to go another week. My doctor called me and told me to come in that night at 7pm to be induced. She said she moved me to the top of the list because I was already a week overdue.

I went to the hospital that night with my husband and my mom. They hooked me up to the iv and monitor at 7:30pm. The Resident doctor came in to examine me and I was still 3 centimeters and 80% effaced. She also did a sonogram and laughed because there literally was no more room in the inn. They had me eat something because my doctor didnt want me induced until around 2:00am so she could be the one to deliver my baby. Not too long after I ate something and had the exam that I started to get some cramping, but nothing I didnt have before. The cramps would come and go. It wasnt until my mom, who was closely watching the monitor, asked me if I was having a contraction and me, not knowing, said no, just a little cramping.....well a little cramping kept coming about every 10 minutes.....the nurse came in and said how she had been watching her monitor of me and noticed I started labor on my own :) Around 9:18pm I thought I felt my water break, but it was a false alarm. My pain was about a 5/10. The nurse had me get up and start walking and that is when the real pain started and the back labor kicked in. That was the worst. A few times it made me weak in the knees and made my eyes water.  My pain after walking was an 8/10. I tried out the birthing ball for a little until the doctor came in. He said I could have an epidural. The epidural was like heaven, kicked in immediately and thats when my nurse told me it was time to sleep because the hardest part was ahead of me.

At 2:00am I was examined and was 4cm and 100% effaced. They started the Pitosin drip. At 3:40am I could feel the contractions on my right side. They ended up upping my epidural, but I still could slightly feel the contractions when they came on that side.

I was examined again at 3:48am- I was 6cm and 100% effaced....that was when they noticed the "bloody show". I was well on my way...

At 5:10am- I was examined and was 9cm and 100% effaced. I did a whole bunch of trying to sleep, but it really didnt happen.

At 6:28am I was 9-10cm with small cervix on the right side. Pain was back up to 5-6/10. Again they increased the epidural. They then had to break my water.

At 7:00am I was +1 station and 10cm dilated. They had me do a couple pushes to get me started until my doctor got there. I have to say that pushing was so entirely exhausting. And because they had upped my epidural so much I couldnt feel anything. Therefore I think I pushed way harder than I needed. But and hour and 20min later my beautiful baby boy was placed on my stomach and it was amazing! Andrew was born 1/9/13 @ 8:22am 8lbs 6oz and 21 3/4 inch long.

(My husband kept a log- that's how I know the exact times :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Andrew's birth story

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards