Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

something mentally wrong? :

Hello everyone. My DD is about 17 months old and my mother watches her while I work and she told me that she wants to take her to a special doctor because she seems 'overly angry'. She claims that when she has a tantrum she throws herself on the ground and bangs her head on the floor or hits herself if not others. I personally have never seen her do that and think maybe she's just entering her terrible twos early. Me and my peers who are also mother's think my mother is over reacting. My nephew who lives with her had similar mini meltdowns whenever you tried to put him in a bathtub when he was about two. Do you think I should take her to see a doctor or should I just try and work with her and see if this smoothes out over time?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: something mentally wrong? :

• Banging heads during tantrums is really, really common at this age.  
    BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • Normal. Frustrating but normal. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I think your mother is over reacting
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I too have a head banger...bruises on the forehead the whole works! Only when we say no to something he really really wants, like coming inside after playing outside makes me break out in hives knowing what is going to happen. Started at 19 months and

• imageKaren1998:
    Banging heads during tantrums is really, really common at this age.  

Yup.  Soun

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Sounds normal. DS bangs his head when he's angry.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• My DS does this too and our Ped said it is normal. I remember my little brother doing the same thing, and he stopped when he hit his head hard enough. He never did it again.

So I am taking it as a waiting game..I just don't react to the tantrum

Matthew & Lillian 1/23/2012 It's TWINS!!!!! 1rst IVF May 2011 ER 5/30/11 ET 6/2/11 2 transfered #1 6/10/11 211 #2 6/13/11 880!!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • DD acts like a possessed demon if she gets tired and frustrated at the same time. I don't think your kid is abnormal.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• aandgaandg member
    Totally normal. My son used to do this and grew out of it around 2. Scared the crap out of me the first time he did it, but it's pretty typical toddler behavior. Once he realized it hurt when he banged his head, he started pretending to bang his head inst
    BFP #1 6/21/08 natural m/c 7/4/08 BFP #2 10/3/08 blighted ovum discovered 11/5/08 D&C 11/13/08 dx with hetero MTHFR 1/7/09 BFP #3 7/1/09 DS born 3/7/10 BFP #4 1/27/10 DD born 9/4/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"