Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Mother's helper

Have any of you used a mother's helper before?  There is a young girl in my neighborhood who is very sweet and asked if she could come over and help with my little guy some time as a mother's helper... she took a class last summer and wants to babysit when she gets older (she is 11).  My question- do I pay her or is she likely just offering for the experience? I know I would not give her what a babysitter would normally would make, but should I be giving her $5 or something like that if she comes over for an hour or two?  This is all very new to me and I don't know the etiquette!  Thanks for any tips :-)
DS Born 10/5/11 TTC #2 starting 8/2012 BFP! 11/12/12 EDD 7/26/12... natural m/c 12/1/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Mother's helper

• I have used a younger girl around 12-13 and for every couple of hours 2-3 I gave her 10 dollars.
  • I was thinking $5/hr seemed pretty reasonable. Thanks!
    DS Born 10/5/11 TTC #2 starting 8/2012 BFP! 11/12/12 EDD 7/26/12... natural m/c 12/1/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I love having my 11-year-old cousin come over to occupy the kids while I clean or work! I pay her minimally--just under $5/hour--and she always acts surprised and really grateful.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I use a mother's help 2 times per week or more, especially when DH is deployed like he is now.  I would definitely pay the girl.  I've never paid less than $10/hour to any sitter.   But I've never had someone in the 12-13 year age rang
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have an 11 year old girl that comes once a week for about 2 hours and I give her $10. My son is at an age now where having her come by really is helpful because I can get things done around the house and he really just needs someone to play with him. It
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"