Pre-School and Daycare

4 year old DDs eating habits are making me nuts.

My soon to be 4.5 year old DD is very picky and has been since about age 2.5.  Here lately it's gotten worse, I will make her things she likes for dinner and sometimes she still wont eat, and then she's hungry later or asking for other things than what I make.  As it is I specially cook for her, sometimes making her different things than I make myself.  I feel like I am spoiling her too much but getting her to eat what I fix lately can sometimes be like pulling teeth.  I refuse to feed her chicken nuggets everynight like she would eat if she were given her way.  I don't want to give her the message that it's okay to waste the food that I've made for her but then I always feel guilty when she's hungry between meals.  Lately I have been giving her fruit or yogurt between meals if shes hungry.  I'm starting to think I should probably start being more strict that either eat her dinner or go hungry until breakfast.  She is not underweight so that isn't an issue.  How do you ladies handle this type of situation?

Re: 4 year old DDs eating habits are making me nuts.

• I'm one to not want to battle about food, so I wouldn't mind giving healthy snacks in between, even if they had a light lunch or dinner. 

That said, I wouldn't want to only cook the "junkier" food that they'd request.  In my mind, if t

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I kwow many disagree but there is no way I would make my child go hungry from dinner until breakfast. That is cruel and will likely make her wake up during the night with stomach pains. I wish I had great advice but wanted to voice my opinion that I do no
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Loading the player...
  • It's very normal for children to become picky eaters at this age. Like the PP said, I'm also not one to battle over food. I'm not going to give them junk food like fast food, but I also won't cut out their option to have healthy snacks between meals.</

Hawaii
  • My DD is not very picky, so take this with a grain of salt, but I've never been able to get worked up over eating habits in general.

If she doesn't eat much food, then don't make much and certainly don't punish her for not eating.  I would n

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • With my daughter, we offer her a snack right before bed.  Plus, if she's not eating and/or playing with food, she goes right to bath and bed after dinner.  I don't feel I'm making my daughter go hungry.  If's she's hungry, she'll ask for

image @wa_tracy image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Ovulation Chart
  • I refuse to make mealtime a battle and I also believe in feeding to hunger - sometimes they're just ligit not hungry. My job is to provide healthy, balanced meals with things I know they like and it's their job to eat. If they choose not to eat they're

• imageKathrynMD:

My DD is not very picky, so take this with a grain of salt, but I've never been able to get worked up over eating h

• Our kids eat what we eat.  I don't make special meals for them...dinner is usually the meal where they eat the least amount.  DS doesn't like potatoes, so if were not having rice, he gets meat and veggies.  DD will eat her potatoes and v

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We all eat the same thing for dinner. DD eats a good breakfast and an okay lunch, with snacks/milk in between. If she doesn't eat dinner, meh. She's given the opportunity, she has choices on her plate. I don't feel guilty about letting her go to bed "hung
  • Please stop cooking specifically for your daughter! It will drive you mad by the time she is in high school and you are still doing it. My mom did this for my brother and he is still a crapy eater at age 30 although he finally started to try a couple o

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"