Breastfeeding

Night Weaning a Toddler (2 year old)

DS (2 years) is still going strong with BFing and we're both happy with our daytime nursing relationship.  What I'd like to change are the regular night wake-ups to BF.

Some background, he sleeps in his own crib and has since birth.  He actually doesn't like to sleep in our bed (boy needs his personal space, lol Wink).  Since about 18 months, he STTN about half the time, and wakes up once at night the other half of the time.  Occassionally, he'll wake up more than once at night.  We've never done any sleep training to get him to STTN.

While he does go to bed on his own in the evening (I put him down drowsy and he goes to sleep on his own), when he wakes in the middle of the night, he wants to fall asleep at the breast and be put down asleep.  DH usually tries to comfort him when he wakes in the MOTN, but he gives up when DS is unconsolable (which is always) and I nurse him.

For people who night weaned toddlers, how did you do it?  Any specific methods (I would prefer non-CIO methods)?

BFP#2:  EDD 2/11/14, MMC confirmed 7/15/13 (growth stopped at 6 weeks), D&C @ 12 weeks 7/25/13

Re: Night Weaning a Toddler (2 year old)

• I quit giving into him at night. I found it a lot easier to just nurse him to get him back to sleep, but it wasn't helping him sleep through the night. I finally decided to refuse to feed him and would go to him, pick him up, wait until he relaxed, lay hi
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • About 6 weeks ago, LO stopped STTN and would not be consoled by DH or a bottle either.  LO wanted to nurse but honestly I did not want to do that.  I know he wasn't hungry and he wasn't getting much out of me since it had been months since I

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagegenekelly:

About 6 weeks ago, LO stopped STTN and would not be consoled by DH or a bottle either.  LO wanted to nurse bu

BFP#2:  EDD 2/11/14, MMC confirmed 7/15/13 (growth stopped at 6 weeks), D&C @ 12 weeks 7/25/13

• imageemjenkins715:
    I quit giving into him at night. I found it a lot easier to just nurse him to get him back to sleep, but it wasn

• We did Ferber's suggested method for night weaning with just gradually spreading out the time between feedings until the baby is sleeping through the night.  It *worked* okay.  At the time DD was still getting up to nurse a ton, and I was exhaus
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"