Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Moms of MSPI/Reflux babies using Prevacid...

If your LO has reflux and/or MSPI and you are treating with Prevacid solutabs, how long until you saw improvement? My son is MSPI and is currently on PurAmino (equivalent to Neocate and Elecare) and was on Zantac for reflux since about 4 weeks of age. Recently, we saw his reflux starting to creep back up, so his pedi switched him to Prevacid solutabs. It's only been about 2 days on the Prevacid, but his reflux is worse than ever right now! He's spitting up a ton and refusing to sleep flat in his crib, so we've been having him sleep in bed with us for the past 2 nights now...but I REALLY don't want to make this a habit, obviously. I'm hearing from people that the Prevacid can take up to a couple weeks to really kick in and relieve symptoms...did you find this was the case with your LO?

Also...if your LO is also MSPI, did you have any issues with the tiny trace amount of lactose in the solutabs? I'm hearing really conflicted info on this, considering that the solutabs really only contain a tiny, tiny trace amount of medical grade lactose, which isn't the same thing as milk protein...so I'd think he'd be fine with it, but I still wanted to get others' experience on this. The pedi didn't think twice about putting him on the prevacid, so I'd think if it was going to be an issue, he'd put him on a different med.

TIA for any insight you ladies may have on this! I just want my boy to feel better and sleep in his crib again! MH and I are exhausted!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Moms of MSPI/Reflux babies using Prevacid...

• Options
    Oh reflux is awful! We were on Zantac since C was 5 weeks. At 4 months we switched to Prevacid because hos reflux was getting bad like the beginning and I went dairy free. Things got worse for us and after 2 weeks we decided to go with a chiropractor and
  • Options

One thing to note is that solutabs contain lactose I believe...I think it's in the strawberry coating, so that could be your issue.

ETA: I just reread your post and saw that you knew that already! :) Perhaps it's worth trying another med...

M/C #1 - BFP-1/16/08 Dx Blighted Ovum-2/4/08 D&C-2/8/08 @ 7 weeks M/C #2 - BFP-3/31/08 Early M/C-4/10/08 @ 5 weeks M/C #3 - BFP-6/31/08 Early M/C-7/13/08 @ 5.5 weeks Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagesdb421:
    One thing to note is that solutabs contain lactose I believe...I think it's in the strawberry coating, so that could be you
  • Options
    DItto using the Zantac in conjunction with the Prevacid. The Prevacid really did help with the spitting up and decreased his pain for a while. Now we are on Axid (a acid neutralizer like Zantac 2xs per day) along with the Prevacid. This finally seems to b
    imageimage
  • Options
    imageLSU628:
    DItto using the Zantac in conjunction with the Prevacid. The Prevacid really did help with the spitting up and decreased hi
  • Options
    No, the allergist ordered a compound. The pharmacist has to mix it for us.He takes 5ml a day.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Oh, and I would probably call and ask if you can continue the Zantac, especially if your LO seems to be so miserable. Hope he and you and your DH get some relief soon! After suffering for 8 long months with DD (her pedi kept dismissing my concerns even wh
    imageimage
  • Options
    imageLSU628:
    No, the allergist ordered a compound. The pharmacist has to mix it for us.He takes 5ml a day.

Oh
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"