August 2013 Moms
Options

NBR: So sad for my daughter

My older daughter just found out that her cat has a month or 2 to live:(  She has had him since she was 10 (a gift from my mother who passed away) and he is now 14 years old.  He started drooling really bad about 3 weeks ago.  We looked at his teeth and didn't see any obvious abcess.  We didn't take him to a vet because he is as energetic as always, he even killed a mouse last week, and his appetite is very strong.  Actually stronger than normal...he has been very aggressive in trying to steal our food suddenly.

I decided to google yesterday and saw that it could indicate liver failure so I told her to go to her vet.  I guess when we looked at his teeth, we never looked at the roof of his mouth...he has a HUGE mass/growth on the roof of his mouth.  Like it looks like a human tongue almost.  They took him in the back and it goes so far down his throat that the doctor doesn't know where it ends.  He said any removal would just grow back and there was nothing they can do.  And it was too large to completely remove.  He gave him 2 months tops:(

My heart is broken for her.  She is so attached to him...she can't stop crying.  I just can't grasp that he is dying.  He is acting like he is fine!!  I am so afraid he is going to slowly  suffocate as this mass grows.  I am taking him to my vet for a second opinion.  I just can't accept there is nothing they can do.  I have no problem spending money on my animals, but obviously there is a limit to what I will spend if they say it is cancerous and has spread, or it will just grow back in a couple months, being that he is almost 15 years old.  But if they think there is a chance they can remove some and it will not grow back, I want to try.  The first doctor didn't do a biopsy or anything, which leads me to believe it is terminal.  I feel like they would have at least tried to "upsell" services if they thought they could save him.

It just breaks my heart to see my daughter so devastated:(

Layla 01.08.12

Chloe and Vivian 07.23.13

My Gang.  Halloween 2013

Re: NBR: So sad for my daughter

• Options
    So sorry to hear this. Losing a pet is is such a devastating experience. I haven't experienced it yet personally, but will eventually. I truly hope that you find out they are able to do something. That would be so wonderful. Please keep us updated!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • Options
    Oh no that is horrible :( (((hugs to you both))))
    image image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh no. Losing a pet is always hard. Absolutely get a 2nd opinion, but let him guide your decision. He'll let you know when it's time to make one (even the hard ones)
    Ezra James 08/22/2013  <3
    Nora Grace Due 12/26/2016  <3

Two Angel Babies 
    07/03/2012
    08/08/2015

"If you're still my small babe
    or you're all the way grown,
    my promise to you
    is you're never alone.
    You are my angel, my darling,
    my star...and my love will find you,
    wherever you are."
  • Options
    I am sorry to hear this. Losing a pet is so hard, especially when kids are involved.

• Options
    I'm so sorry! It's such a heartbreaking experience to have a very sick pet and even moreso to lose one. T and P for your daughter and her kitty!
  • Options
    I'm so sorry.

I cry like a baby when I lose a pet. Whether I'm 11 or 31. So sad. It's amazing how close we become to our furry friends! But living with and loving a pet comes with so many great lessons. Including death...rough rough lesson.
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• Options

I am so sorry to read this- it breaks my heart.  I know you want to do everything in your power to help him, and I hope when you go for your second opinion there is something you are able to do.  In the meantime, give him some extra special t

After 1.5 years TTC, IUI #2= BFP 12/2/12

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"And the dream that you dare to dream really do come true"

• Options

that is so hard. I remember losing my first pet. I had him for 13 years. 

I'm so sorry she's going through that.  

Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
  • Options
    Oh no! This breaks my heart. I totally agree in getting a second opinion. Wishing your daughter and her kitty the best poor things :
    photo crunchy_zps41233998.gifimagephoto crunchy_zps41233998.gif
    My baby is ONE!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"