Cloth Diapering
Options

Horrible red marks

My daughter has horrible red marks on her butt, and one up front. All are blistery and sometimes bleed. She's had them probably 6-8 weeks now, and we've tried everything--Vaseline, zinc oxide, nothing (airing out) but the diaper, and the latest--baby powder. That seems to have made things worse, but I'm at a loss with what to do. We have her 15-month check-up in a couple weeks, and I don't want the doctor to think we're abusing her with all these blistery spots on her butt.

We use fuzzibunz diapers. I'm wondering if things would improve if we switched to disposable, at least for a while?? Any other suggestions??

Please help. I'm almost in tears when I see how bad they look, even though she seems to take it all in stride.

Tara 

Re: Horrible red marks

• Options
    Have you tried coconut oil or any CD friendly rash creams, CJs, grandma els, etc? E had 2 really bad blisters after being in a disposable and it wet away overnight using coconut oil.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I second this. LO had an awful red burn-like rash from a pampers swaddlers and we used coconut oil and (in the day) fitteds without a cover to try to air her bum. Leaving her diaper free on a towel is an option too, our house was too cold for that though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Have you tried lotrimin? Since you said it got worse after baby powder makes me believe it could be a case of yeast gone horribly awry. The only way to get rid of yeast is to use the lotrimin with a liner alternating between that and a CD safe cream ev

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    This is just a wild thought, but is it possible she's having a reaction to the synthetic fibers of the diaper? It'd be a total pita, but have you considered switching to cotton to see if that made a difference?
  • Options
    imageChickypoo2468:
    If its been that bad that long I think you should move up your appointment to now.
    this. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I will try the coconut oil, thanks, and I'll call the doctor if that doesn't help ASAP. I'm sure the doctor will say to switch to disposables, at least temporarily. I wanted to make sure we tried everything else before talking to her, since I'd prefer

• Options
    imagetakmjs:
    I will try the coconut oil, thanks, and I'll call the doctor if that doesn't help ASAP. I'm sure the doctor will say to swi
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I would like to say that I've been successful getting rid of a rash like that in cloth, but I haven't. We've struggled with yeast so I second pp who said lotrimin or miconazole 2 works as well. When this has happened with my DD I would try the miconazole
    eliza bopple
    Eliza born 1-25-12
    Baby 2 EDD 7-18-14
  • Options

We have so many diapers that we only wash every 4 days. We do a cold rinse with no detergent, then hot wash with rockin green detergent, then a cold rinse cycle again with no detergent. We often put in a little baking soda as well to help with odors.</

• Options
    What's an rlr soak?
  • Options
    What's the rash/redness look like when it is yeast?
  • Options

imagetakmjs:
    What's the rash/redness look like when it is yeast?

Firstly, you are not washing enough. So t

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

We had the same problem sometime after solid foods became a big part of DS's diet.  In our case, two doctors and a dermatologist had no ideas of what it was or cause, none of the treatments they recommended/Rx'd worked, a skin biopsy didn't d

• Options
    DD got a terrible rash just like this when we were using too much detergent. I just used some liners for a few days and Desitin and she cleared right up. It was heartbreaking, though, I know!

imageimageimageTTC since 07/11 | natural m/c 08/11 | BFP 12/6/2011 | Elinor Anna born 8/18/2012 | BFP #2 1/16/2014
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

It's hard to know what to do with so much different advice. My husband's cousin was a pediatrician, now a dermatological researcher. I didn't even think of her until my mother-in-law suggested it. She said it sounds more bacterial, like a staph infecti

• Options
    imagetakmjs:

It's hard to know what to do with so much different advice. My husband's cousin was a pediatrician, now a dermatologic

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"