Breastfeeding
Options

Plugged Duct or Mastitis?

So for the past day or so I've been struggling with a really sore right breast. I noticed it yesterday afternoon, after I started running a fever of 101.

I took ibuprofen and slept the fever off. Today, my temp is down to around 98-99, so no more real fever. But my breast is more sore. I fed DD (4 months) all night as usual, and pumped a little after feeding her this morning. (I only got about an ounce from the effected side, but at least two from the other, right after feeding from both sides.)

I've been trying to massage and apply heat and rest as much as possible. The pain is getting a little worse, like a sharper pain, along with the soreness. Not that it matters much which it is, mastitis or plugged duct, but I was just curious what it is I'm experiencing. Also, any other tips to try to kick this thing on my own? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Plugged Duct or Mastitis?

• Options

I currently have mastitis - the 103 fever was not fun!  Your fever went down due to motrin, but you still need antibiotics.  My OB was happy to just call them in for me after I talked to her on the phone.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I agree with PPs, go to the doc asap. I went right away and still spiked a 103 degree fever. Its a deep tissue infection and needs antibiotics!

"I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted what I asked of him." ~1 Samuel 1:27
    "Whatever it takes, we walk together." ~Pittsburgh Penguins
    My IF-turned-baby blog
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

As the other ladies have already said, if you have a fever it's mastitis & need to see a doctor ASAP.

I have a recurring blocked duct & my DS has been able to help unblock it for me so far, but I do the heat/cold compresses, massage

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options

From what I've read, especially from La Leche League and Kelly Mom, a 101 temperature doesn't necessarily indicate mastitis, but could very well be a plugged duct.

My temperature the past few days was hovering around normal, and my pain went away

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"