March 2013 Moms
Options

Rowan Alice is here!!!

Hi ladies! First and foremost, thank you for all the encouraging words about csection deliveries. After vehemently planning an all natural childbirth and reading all the books and blogs I was forced to confront a large baby, no real cervical progresssion and being a week overdue with my midwife and doctor team encouraging a csection.

I had two days of ugly crying and mourning the delivery I'd built up in my mind. With her estimated weight to be 10lbs 10oz, I knew that they weren't seeking an easy out and I had to think of what would be best for my baby.

Let me tell you, I had an amazing experience! We arrived at nine and both DH's parents and mine were already waiting at the hospital first time grandparents. The staff couldn't have been nicer and took note that I was extremely nervous/scared crapless.

My midwife came anyways, even though she technically served no purpose in the OR. I've grown to adore her and she kept me calm, chatting and laughing through the whole thing.

Believe it or not, one of my biggest fears about the surgery was the spinal. I'm the kind of person who absolutely loses her MIND if my foot falls asleep and I cannot immediately rouse it.

After leaving DH in the ante room, I was wheeled in to the OR and prepped for my spinal. Every prick and poke I'd been warned would be a 'big stick' was actually not a big deal at all. After straddling the operating table and getting the novicaine, the actual spinal went it. It sent a couple of startling shocks down my spine towards my butt. Afterwards I felt only pressure and the tingling began in the tips of my toes and worked its way up. Before I knew it the drape was up and my husband was at my head, holding my hand.

The tugging and pulling was a bit of a strange feeling, and it was discovered that she was no where near engaged and they had to push rather high on my chest to work her down and out.

The release as they pulled her from me was satisfying and she let out a great big throaty cry, which immediately made me and DH cry ourselves. Her apgars were 9/9 and a few minutes after being suctioned and evaluated, she was brought to us, all 10lbs 7oz and 23 inches of her!!! My midwife pointed out the linebacker like width of her shoulders and assured me we made the best decision possible. She most certainly would have gotten stuck if we went ahead and tried an induction.

DH took her to the nursery for some skin to skin, and I have the most beautiful photograph of them from this time. I went to recovery where honestly the most difficult part so far was realizing that my feet and legs would still not move. Now that I had the time to focus on them, it was starting to freak me out.

Thankfully, just before I hit full on panic mode, DH was allowed to come down and visit after a little while, and shortly thereafter they brought Rowan down to nurse. This was the first time I really got to hold her and it was incredible. I felt a little detached at first, but that was mainly due to the exhaustion that finally set in after three nights of not sleeping.

I could go on and on, but it's late and I'm really thinking I need to sleep. My daughter is amazing, and I cannot thank you lovely group of ladies enough for putting me at ease when I was losing my gosh darn mind. While this wasn't the sort of birthday I had in mind for our first child, it turned out so much better than expected and perfect in its own way.

All of us Momma's are brave and I hope the rest of you are enjoying the spoils of your new roles as much as I am!

Re: Rowan Alice is here!!!

• Options
    Great story! What a relief to know you made the right call. No regrets! Congrats!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Congrats!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing! My baby isn't supposed to be too large, but he isn't engaging at all (today is my due date, with induction planned for early next week). The possibility of a c-section still looms, and you're story was nice to read. Thanks again.
  • Options
    What a fantastic birth story! Congrats!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

Congrats!  What a well-written post.  So glad it all worked out for you and that you didn't have to struggle trying to push her out in an attempted vaginal delivery!

I totally get what you mean about not liking that you can't feel your

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    So glad things went well for you and your little girl! Congratulations! Hope you have a speedy recovery!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"