Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Silent Reflux? Please help!

My 5 week old son has been showing signs of what I think is silent reflux. He's been really fussy lately. He arches his back a lot. He does this while feeding. He has tons of gas. He especially gets fussy when I try to lay him down. He doesn't sleep for very long at one time. He moans and grunts while he's sleeping and while he's awake. He gags sometimes, but never actually spits up and he coughs.
I plan on bringing him to a doctor, but i'd like to avoid medications, if possible. I already give him gripe water, which helps a little. I use Dr. Brown bottles love them! and I feed him sitting up, burp often. I even put him to sleep in something a little more upright. I am just wondering what are some suggestions on formula that is good for silent/acid reflux? And would it be ok to switch the formula before seeing his doctor? I might not be able to get him in until next week so i'd like to try everything I can to make it better until then.
Also, i'm on wic so is the formula change going to be complicated with them?

Re: Silent Reflux? Please help!

• DS has reflux, and he became terribly fussy. He also grunted and moaned all night long.  We started him on Zantac and within days he was so much better.  We also switched him from Similac Advanced, to Similac Sensitive.

BFP#1 -3/18/12- M/C 3/31/12,
    BFP#2 -4/25/12, Beta#1 17dpo= 800, Beta#2 20dpo= 3800, Ethan James born 1-5-13

BFP#3- February 2015- natural miscarriage

BFP#4- June 2015- Ruptured ectopic, severe hemorrhage and loss of left tube on 7/10/2015

BFP#5- 12/18/15

• Okay thanks. I'm assuming he'll be put on Zantac. I already have him on Similac Sensitive, but it's not helping the reflux :/
  • Loading the player...
  • The zantac made a huge different.  We just put it in his morning bottle, and evening bottle. 

BFP#1 -3/18/12- M/C 3/31/12,
    BFP#2 -4/25/12, Beta#1 17dpo= 800, Beta#2 20dpo= 3800, Ethan James born 1-5-13

BFP#3- February 2015- natural miscarriage

BFP#4- June 2015- Ruptured ectopic, severe hemorrhage and loss of left tube on 7/10/2015

BFP#5- 12/18/15

• I totally understand your want to not use medication -- I was like that too. When my 2 weeks old started the reflux symptons I tried everything, but the only thing that really helped was the zantac.
  • What kind of formula are you using?
  • We tried switching formulas first. My doc took us off Similac Sensitive and switched us to Gerber Good Start Gentle. She said it takes about 2 weeks to get the system acclimated to the new formula. We are at the end of that two weeks and it has helped.&nb
    Cervical Cancer Survivor since 2007 TTC Since 2008 IUI#1 = BFN IUI#2 = BFN IUI#3 = BFN IUI#4 = BFN IVF #1 = BFN FET #1 = BFN FET #2 = BFN FET #3 = BFN IVF #2 = BFN IVF #3 = BFN FET #4 = BFN FET #5 = BFP!!! 06/10/2011 Miscarriage 06/21/2011 Adoption Application Submitted 09/2011, Personal Documents Submitted 11/18/2011, Home Visit 12/16/2011, Officially Waiting!!! 01/21/2013 MATCHED!!!! 01/24/2013 Baby Boy Born! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would get the meds. I have a new baby with meds. Gripe water won't do much.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"