August 2013 Moms
Options

Cats' reaction to new baby

I apologize in advance if this question has already been posted...

I have two tortie cats.  They are 2 and a half, sisters, rescued/adopted by us at 6 weeks, and strictly indoor.  They have completely been our babies since we adopted them, to the point that I am nervous about them feeling attention deprived once our (actual) baby comes.  

For example, right now they sleep on our bed with us, but once the baby comes, I may try to keep them our of that part of the house because one of them has a tendency to meow in the middle of the night looking for attention (and I am worried about waking up the baby).

Am curious, especially any STMs who have cats and how their cats handled their transition.   Anything advice?

TIA :) 

After 1.5 years TTC, IUI #2= BFP 12/2/12

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"And the dream that you dare to dream really do come true"

Re: Cats' reaction to new baby

• Options

I was worried about this as well. We also have two cats and I will be a first time mom.

Up until recently, we have left our cats go in and out of our room as they please and sleep on the bed with us. Like yours, when they want attention, they wou

• Options
    Our cat at first was terrified. He HATED the sound of a newborn cry. When he got used to it, we had to start watching him carefully because he would see DS's legs kicking under a blanket and think it was a game. He scratched DS a couple times until we fig

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah, I am such a softie, its going to be really hard for me to squirt them with a water bottle.  But I will certainly have to suck it up for our baby...

• Options
    Our cats also like to sleep on our bed. We closed our bedroom door for the first month while DS was sleeping in our room just because we were afraid one of them would jump in the bassinet and try to curl up with DS. After the month, we put DS in his room

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • Options
    I'm not too terribly worried about ours.  She's a torti as well as a mainecoon, and if you know anything about cats that makes her extra b*#@hy.  She's mostly standoffish and doesn't try to play unless we initiate it.  We plan to keep her o

• Options

imageSarahKate31:
    Our cats also like to sleep on our bed. We closed our bedroom door for the first month while DS was sleeping in o

• Options

We have 2 cats as well and they transitioned better than I thought they would with a new baby around. At first, they acted attention deprived, but they got over it. I enlisted my family who stayed with us for the first few weeks to give them extra TLC

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

We have two very spoiled cats that also sleep in the bed with us. While DD was sleeping in the room with us, we did kick them out, only because we were worried they would try to snuggle up with the baby at night and pose a suffocation hazard. It turned

Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for the good advice, everyone :)

• Options
    I was amazed how well the cats handled DS coming home.   He really didn't phase them at all.  I think they just viewed him as an extension of me.  Our cats have full reign of the house, and we never needed to keep them away from D

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• Options

If any areas will be off limits, do it NOW. before the baby comes or the cats will associate it with the babies.

But, If the cats will still be allowed (which I'm going to let my kids and cats mix ASAP so they're both used to each other) the baby

Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"