December 2010 Moms

does anyone NOT do time outs?

So I talked/cried to Brody's special ed teacher this morning about his behavior. She thinks that it's best just to ignore all of these new and fun behaviors that he's displaying.

It should be "celebrated" (she was kind of kidding) that at least he's acting like a typical 2 year old - she'd be more concerned if he WASN'T doing these things. 

She said a lot of people are like "oh my god he's biting!!!!" when really it's just another negative behavior like pushing something away, kicking a wall, pulling hair, etc. and if the negative behaviors are ignored then he's more likely to drop them quicker. If we make a big deal out of them, then he'll get the attention he's looking for.

I pointed out that I don't want him thinking that it's okay to bite by not giving him a consequence, but she also pointed out that he already knows it's wrong and that's why he's doing it. 

I really like the idea of 123 Magic and have heard great things about it but I also know that with nursing and rocking a newborn, there is no way I'll get him to sit/stay in time out and have it be as effective as it should be. 

My little man at 0-1-2
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

Re: does anyone NOT do time outs?

• Brody is adjusting, like your whole family, to how the dynamic has changed and trying to find his place in it.
    We don't really do timeouts. We had a few times right around when he turned 2, but now for the most part if he gets a "warning" he stops
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • kj07kj07 member

I have a friend that uses 123 Magic and I think I'm going to look it up for us.  We do timeouts, but most of the time B doesn't seem to care.  Last night in timeout (for deliberately dumping his water at the table) he cheerfully spent his two

photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • Loading the player...
  • We do timeouts, but I wanted to say that our pedi recommended 1-2-3 Magic at DS' 18 month appt.  When DS turned 2, DH started applying the counting concept by chance.  He hadn't read the book.  DH started doing a 3-2-1 countdown.  I

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekj07:

I have a friend that uses 123 Magic and I think I'm going to look it up for us.  We do timeouts, but most of the ti

My little man at 0-1-2

• Are you keeping him home with you the duration of your maternity leave? Or will he go back to daycare? Some of the moms on my 2nd bmb were keeping older kids in DC and it seemed to help with the adjustment. A only had babysitters when he was the only chil
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Putting G in time out for naughty behavior has not been very effective in our house, but putting G's toys in time out has been.  I tell her I'm going to count to 3 and if she doesn't [insert behavior] I'm going to put (insert toy) into time out, and

• We don't, really. Sometimes if he bites or hits me, we go sit on the stairs and I say we're having a time out, but we are really taking one together. Just sort of a change of scenery and we sit down on the stairs for about two minutes and I tell him ag

photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • imageenjoylife:
    Are you keeping him home with you the duration of your maternity leave? Or will he go back to daycare? Some of the

My little man at 0-1-2

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"