Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

nail clipping help

If I don't get suggestions on clipping DS nails soon, he'll be in the record books for longest nails.  I try to do it while he's taking his bottle, so he's semi-distracted, but he totally fights it.  If I'm lucky, I get 1-2.  My sister says to just do 1-2/day, but then I'm having his battle daily, which I'm not thrilled about.  I tried last night while he was sleeping, but he yanked his hand away & then I couldn't reach it in his crib.  The insanity! Big Smile

Re: nail clipping help

• Options
    We hardly ever have the tv on when K is awake so I turn on the tv to keep him distracted.  To cut his toenails, he loves to sit on his dad's shoulders and I trim them then. Also I use baby scissors for his nails and clippers for his toenails.  I
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

For awhile, I used the TV as a distraction. Now I can sometimes just sing songs and he's okay. Toes are much harder since he likes to kick.

If someone else is home, a second pair of hands comes in handy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips!  He doesn't care for the TV (if we have it on, he doesn't pay attention).  However, he loves harlem shake videos.  I'll give this a go tonight.  He is constantly jerking his hand away so I can't get the clippers on
  • Options
    I've been doing it while DS is asleep....it works GREAT - been doing it since day 1
  • Options
    I just do it while he's napping, but LO is in a regular bed not a crib so it's easier to access. I hope the videos are enough distraction you can at least get a whole hand done! Good luck!

imageimage
  • Options

I hate this job too and I might try the tv trick.  I actually make my sister do it when ever we see her! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We have saved a special YouTube video of Elmo's ducks just for nail clipping.  I let her hold my phone with one hand and do the other and then switch.  I have learned to perfect the clipping in 2 minutes 7 seconds....
    Eff Yeah! Mighty Ducks
    Oct '14 September Siggy Challenge
    Teenage Crush

DD: E, 8/20/11
    DS: N, 7/11/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I let her have a cracker or a hard cookie type thing in the hand I'm not clipping and put on veggie tales. I still haven't figured out a good way to do her toes though. Those babies are always a battle.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DS is not interested in the TV at all yet, so I do it when he's really sleepy and out of it, like after bath and right before bed.  Otherwise I have to enlist help from DH and make it a two-person job.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

MH & I pair up for it - while he clips, I distract.  Lately what works best is when I hand her a second pair of clippers and she can "clip" (the clipper is closed, she just puts it to my fingertip and we say "clip!") my nails wi

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We used to do it while he was napping, but then we were forgetting, and now and then he would wake up in the middle...now we do it getting ready for bed. He's fairly calm, I think he likes the noise...but it's not a perfect science.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    No amount of distraction is enough for DD for nail clipping. I put her in her high chair, strap her in and grab her hand and hold on for dear life. She cries and about has a heart attack by the time it's all over, but what are ya gonna do.
                                    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"