Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Q: Rice cereal vs oatmeal cereal

I just tried introducing solids to my DD last week. She's only had breastmilk this entire time. She's 6 months old (4 months adjusted). She didn't seem interested the first couple days. I'd feed it to her a couples times a day. It's made her constipated and she hasn't pooped in 3 days. 

Here's my question: is there a difference between rice cereal and oatmeal cereal? I introduced oatmeal cereal first instead of rice cereal. Can this be a reason why she doesn't like it or is constipated? Starting solids is harder than I thought. Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

Re: Q: Rice cereal vs oatmeal cereal

• Rice cereal is far more "binding" than oatmeal... which is why we started with oatmeal rather than rice.  If you're already having constipation problems I would NOT switch to rice.

Both my regular Dr and our GI told us that constipation is n

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Relationship Humor Blog: The Hubby Diaries
  • I'm confused by offering multiple times a day... Was that because lo wouldn't eat it?.
    I've read and heard and seen that bf babies are prone to constipation when starting solids. A lot of people start with oatmeal and find it helps we started
  • Loading the player...
  • You should really only be trying the cereal once a day.  It's very normal for a baby to not be interested and to not actually get much down the first few days or more that you try it.  If she's turning her head away and really not interested,

• I would start out with only one time per day. My LO did not like cereal, and I could not get him to eat it. Then I started mixing it with a veggie, and he loves it.
    BFP #1: 2/14/11. EDD: 10/20/11. Missed m/c discovered in April at 12 weeks, d&c. BFP #2: 12/27/11. EDD: 9/9/2012.
  • imagealphaphi98:

I just tried introducing solids to my DD last week. She's only had breastmilk this entire time. She's 6 months old

• I buy organic rice cereal I just add water to. This is quicker/easier than mixing up oatmeal which once it sits is gross & thick. LO much prefers the thinner rice cereal mixes.

When starting we only did once a day. She'd only eat a bite or tw

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"