December 2012 Moms

NBR: Newly a landlord and need advice

When we found out that I was pregnant, we bought a bigger house since my small condo wouldn't cut it. Unfortunately, I bought in 2007 and it's now only worth about 75% of what it was worth, so I can't sell it. So, I listed it for rent with a management company, and they have a tenant lined up. So far, he's already come back with something that he didn't like in the lease. I don't entirely blame him for that (it was a recommendation by the management company, and I didn't feel strongly about it). Well, he's come back again with another request that I don't feel great about.

About 2 years ago, I replaced the water softener with a ridiculously expensive one (nearly $2K) because of the really bad water around here. As part of it, Culligan (well respected, bonded & insured company) brings out salt every two months, fills it, and checks to make sure that it's functioning correctly. I pay for the salt, but nothing else. When I was living there, I gave them a key and they would just take care of it, though they do have an option where you can be home and they'll do the same service on an appointment basis. I would like to continue having the maintenance done (at my expense) since eventually I'd like to sell it and it is an asset. The prospective tenant is saying no, that he doesn't want them to have a key, and that he's not willing to deal with making appointments for them to do it. Do I let him off the hook (and take my chances that he'll take care of it), or do I insist and possibly lose the tenant?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

Re: NBR: Newly a landlord and need advice

• I'm not a landlord so this is just my personal opinion.  When they bring the salt do they need to walk though the home, is the unit in the basement? 

I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be if a stranger were in my space without me being t

• It's an apartment style condo -- One door off the hallway, so they'd have to be in the unit. The water softener itself is in a closet off the balcony, but since it's a 2nd floor unit, you have to go through the living room to get to the balcony. The m

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • imagepeanutrach1:

I don't blame the tenant for not wanting another party to have the key. Also, I imagine they would find it to

imageimage

• imagepeanutrach1:

I don't blame the tenant for not wanting another party to have the key. Also, I imagine they would find it to be

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Your house your demand. If he doesn't like it they will find another tenant. Don't let him pressure you into stopping something that will improve/maintain the value of your property.
    image image image
  • Most apartments require people to enter for routine issues. Rather than giving a key to the water company it can stay with the management company and that is no different from what every other tenant encounters.

I have never tried to negotia

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"