Natural Birth
Options

Intro and advice

Hello ladies. I've just recently started watching this board. I'm a FTM, 19 weeks and expecting a beautiful little girl.
I've always said, without much real thought behind it, that I would def have an epi and anything else they would give me when I had a kid. Granted, this was the young 20 something me with no real plans on gaving a baby anytime soon.
Fast forward to today and I find myself debating medicated vs natural birth. Ill be honest, the pain factor scares me, but so does an epi and all the risks involved, add in what seems to be higher chances of a cs and it terrifies me.
At this point I know I at least want to try a natural birth. Can you all recommend where I even begin learning about methods? I know I can google this, but did you find certain books or classes more helpful than others?
I'm sure I will also continue to learn a lot just from reading the posts here. The one a few diwn in why you all chose natural was very insightful. TIA!

Re: Intro and advice

• Options
    mb314mb314 member

Welcome!  Pick up Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth.  I found the birth stories in it to be empowering, and I felt that it gave me confidence to try for a natural birth.  And look into natural birth classes - the more you know ahead o

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Ditto pp.

I took a Bradley-like class too, which is focused on DH providing support during labor. If that's not a good fit, many people hire a doula in addition or instead.

I also really liked "A Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" by

imageimage image
    DS, May 2011
    DD, April 2014

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I can relate, I used to say as a teenager I wanted scheduled c-sections.  Here I am two med-free births later :)

We started our journey by watching "The Business of Being Born".  Like any documentary it's not perfect, so take it with a

• Options
    Thanks for your feedback ladies!

One of the things that is pushing me to go natural was my sisters birth experience. She had an epi as was her plan but wasn't pushing hard enough even though she said at the time she felt like she was pushing
  • Options

I am not really giving advice here since this will be my 3rd baby and only med free delivery.  I suffered a spinal cord injury five years ago and with this pregnancy it is unsafe to do any time of medicine that uses my back as a conduit.  I d

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"