Birth Stories

Low Platlets & Positive Birth Story

Met with my Dr. on Monday and my platlets are low, around 120ish so they will be monitoring me for the remainder of my pregnancy.  I am just really scared and need some encouragement that there are plenty of others out there that have experienced this and it's not as negative as I think.  TIA!!

Re: Low Platlets & Positive Birth Story

• I would love to hear a positive Birth story as well, my platelets are at 104....and I have basically been told if they drop lower than 100 then they will do a c-section...
  • Wow, when I saw low I wasn't expecting 120! I have ITP which means that I have had low platelets for most of my life. My count is usually around 30k. My last check-up it was around 51k, so its going up as I get farther along. Right now my plan, along with my doctor, is to do a vaginal birth unless anything goes wrong then we'll go for a c-section. So I personally think you will be perfectly fine! Women with ITP have normal births all the time and you have a much higher count than some of us with ITP.
  • Loading the player...
  • My friend was in the same situation as you last year.  She was hovering right about the 100 mark.  The doctor did not say C-section though, they said she could not have an epidural.  She was worried that she would have to have a natural birth.  Everything worked out perfectly and her platlets were just high enough when she delivered.  Good luck!
  • I have ITP and my platelets were around 100 when I delivered.  My Hemotologist said it was fine for me to have an epidural.  Turned out I needed a c-section for other reasons, but it had nothing to do with my platelets.  He just monitored me throughout the last part of my pregnancy and came to check on me when I was in labor.  Everything was fine.  Good luck! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"