December 2010 Moms

colors

Do your Dec. babies know their colors? My kiddo can sort by color, like put all the red things together and all the blue together, etc., so I know he can see the colors.  For awhile I wondered if he were colorblind!  However, if I were to hold up a red and blue block and ask him to pick the red one, he has no clue.  He can't actually identify colors. (He doesn't have a huge vocabulary, so color words aren't on his radar at all when it comes to speaking.)  We've been working on it today.  Are colors a skill set for this age group even?  If your kid does know them, did you do anything fun to teach them that you would like to share?

(I wish the bump would let me make a clicky poll!! Argh.)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: colors

• Charlie has his colors down, but only if there isn't another characteristic to distract him. Like, if we hold up a yellow letter A, he'll tell us the letter, but not the color. Or if we showed him a yellow duck, he'd tell us it was a duck, but not that

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• M is really good with colors. We had a lot of books with colors and she picked them up from there. Elmo was a big help in the learning process.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Paige knows her colors. She picks up crayons and tells us the color, identifies things by their color, ie, yellow bus. We just talked about them in regular conversation, like when I would tell her about the food she was eating, color was one of the things
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I found this article extremely interesting.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=whyjohnnynamecolors

Apparently it's fairly common to think your toddler is colorblind and for them to have difficulty picking up colors.
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • imageCheekers2010:
    I found this article extremely interesting. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=whyjohnnynamecol

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• They pick up most and remember what is at the end if the sentence. I think That is also why it's best to tell your child what you want then to do instead of what you want them to stop doing.

One idea that we do in therapy for colors is to ha
  • C definitely knows all of his colors  (DC has a color of the month so that helped a lot) but he doesn't sort like you mentioned, at all!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • A knows his colors but doesn't sort by color. His favorite game? Red light green light a la backseat driver. Not the running game as I drive when we come up to lights he tells me if it is red or green then yells "stop" or "go". He gets very confused at ri
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yes, he's known his colors since summer. What helped mostly was probably a book about colors that also has colored buttons to press & say the color. Other than that, just daily repetition using anything & everything around the house...this cup

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Mine says everything is either blue or red, all letters are either A or O, and all numbers are 1, 2 or 3. I'm so not in the least bit worried!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Jack knows the names of a lot of colors, but struggles with the ones he doesn't see a lot.  Like pink. lol :)  He can sort colors really well, though.  He will also use them to describe things to me like, "Blue truck, mommy!"

<span

I used to be a big deal.  Now I'm just old. 
  • imagelrn327:
    C definitely knows all of his colors  (DC has a color of the month so that helped a lot) but he doesn't sort like
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• A is really good with her colors now but I have to credit daycare, they have been doing an activity with a new color scheme each week. One week was yellow/orange, Green for St. Patricks etc.

She had an argument with my Mom yesterday about if her

Daisypath Anniversary tickers        Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Oct Angel*BFP 1/25/14 * EDD 10/6/14 * US#1 2/26/14 *US#2 3/3/14 no heartbeat*d&c 3/12/14*

BFP 1/17/15 * EDD 9/30/15

• imageenjoylife:
    A knows his colors but doesn't sort by color. His favorite game? Red light green light a la backseat driver. Not th
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • kj07kj07 member

Nate's in a new daycare, right?  Check with them to see if they do a color of the week/month.  Then you guys can do some of the activities suggested here to reinforce that same color.

We picked up <a href="https://www.amazon.com/Thinkfun

photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • Yep. She has had her colors down since right before her 2 year old appointment. I recall because our pedi asked her "What color is that chair?" and pointed to the little kid's blue chair, and then again with the yellow one. She seemed surprised that B

BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

• No, we go over them all the time, but DS doesn't seem to have any interest in identifying colors and he certainly can't say any of the color words.

I am always amazed at how advanced the kids on this board are. Definitely nothing like my experien

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • DS knows his colors and has for a while, but I think it's something they sort of focused on in school (basically we discovered one day he just knew them!) Also, he's been confusing red and yellow for the longest time. I know how colorblindness works an

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekj07:

Nate's in a new daycare, right?  Check with them to see if they do a color of the week/month.  Then you guys c

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageGrayGhost13:

No, we go over them all the time, but DS doesn't seem to have any interest in identifying colors and he certainly

• imagepitterpatter129:
    imageGrayG
    Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"