One & Done: Only child
Options

Not so great advice from adult onlies

So, my DS is in a co-op preschool and there's a monthly parent meeting I must attend. Last night we had a speaker do an exercise with us regarding "birth order". She separated us up into the following groups based on our order: first born, middle, last born and onlies. We discussed our characteristics with our group to try to determine similarities/dissimilarities that could be because of our birth order (I'm a last born of 2). We then had to share with everyone. 

The speaker said something (jokingly, as the whole evening was light hearted joking with all groups) about onlies being in their own la-la land when they had to present their ideas. One of the onlies piped up with "we don't like being stereotyped like that". Not 2 mins later, the speaker asked who was planning to have an only and asked the onlies to give parenting advice to us. 

Their advice? Have more kids. 

Really?! Thanks for the brilliant parenting advice, dummies. 

Any who, it was annoying. And HELLO! I'm SoDoMojo and I have one 2 year old son. He's pretty awesome. Parenting is hard and I'm quitting while I'm ahead. 

SEAHAWKS! And... Macklemore. Seattle's WINNING! 

Re: Not so great advice from adult onlies

• Options
    Well, I'm an only and if I'm being truthful...I suggest not having an only too. I'm not a dummy, I'm just being truthful.
  • Options

imageKateMW:
    Well, I'm an only and if I'm being truthful...I suggest not having an only too. I'm not a dummy, I'm just being truthf

• Loading the player...
  • Options

As an only child parent of an only child, that is incredibly obnoxious and I'm glad I wasn't in that meeting.

Welcome to the board.  :)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageKateMW:
    Well, I'm an only and if I'm being truthful...I suggest not having an only too. I'm not a dummy, I'm just being truthful.</
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I think people have an undying need to tell people how cool they are for parenting the way they do.   

• Options

imageSmudges*Mom:
    imageKateMW
  • Options
    imageSoDoMojo:

imageKateMW:</
  • Options
    imagethatoneredhead:

I think people have an undying need to tell people how cool they are for parenting the way they do. <span

• Options
    The only reason I called them "dummies" is that they said they didn't like being stereotyped. Then they immediately expressed the stereotype that my son would be better off if we "just had more kids". Hypocritical much?

• Options

imageSoDoMojo:
    The only reason I called them "dummies" is that they said they didn't like being stereotyped. Then they immediately
  • Options
    imageKateMW:
    imageSoDoMojo:

C is 3 years old

• Options
    When I was really little I wanted a sibling until I actually saw siblings in action once I went on playdates and whatnot. Then I was like, oh heck no. All of my friends always told me how lucky I was, and my other friends who were onlys liked it too. <br
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageapansey87:
    When I was really little I wanted a sibling until I actually saw siblings in action once I went on playdates and whatnot

• Options
    imagemissymo:
    imageKateMW:</stro
  • Options
    Welcome and ignore the snark. We're happy to have you. I think we've been dubbed "real OAD'ers" or "not on the fence". Somesuch. Whatever, hello! :)
  • Options
    Looking past everything else here.. lol, welcome!! 
    E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • Options
    imagesalt78:

As an only child parent of an only child, that is incredibly obnoxious and I'm glad I wasn't in that meeting.

We

"You and me together can do anything, baby!!" DMB
    Married October 16th, 2010
    TTC #1 since October 2010
    1st BFP 1-12-11
    MC'd 1-22-11
    2nd BFP 2-15-11
    Our Wee One....**KENNEDY JO** born 10/3/11@ 36weeks via Csection
    My BFP Chart
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Labor Buddy to **MRS.ATCH** Welcome Quinn 11-5-11**
  • Options

Duh. 

I've gotten some very harsh pieces of advice from adult onlies.  Its all focused on the negative aspects- lonely moments as a child, parents too involved in their lives, burden of caring for aging parents, etc.

I personally

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    imagewonknessmonster:
    imageKateMW:</
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I think the thread on this board asking adult onlies to share their story is the place to go.  Lots of positive stories after your experience.

As an adult only, I am having an only.  I absolutely love everything about being an only and

• Options
    imagehopefulmom81:

I think the thread on this board asking adult onlies to share their story is the place to go.  Lots of posi

• Options
    OK, I can admit when I was wrong, so I'm sorry I was grumpy the other day. I don't agree 100% with the sentiment that having an only is great, but I don't really hate it as much as it seems either. Sorry for being such a brat. 
  • Options
    imageSoDoMojo:
    imagehopefulmom81

• Options

imageKateMW:
    OK, I can admit when I was wrong, so I'm sorry I was grumpy the other day. I don't agree 100% with the sentiment that
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagemabenner1:

imageKateMW:<
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"