May 2013 Moms

are you going to refuse cervical checks?

This is frequently discussed on third tri, but I wanted to see who is actually going to refuse them. I am having my 34 weeks appt. today and at 36 weeks they'll do the GBS test and the dr. said if I want to be checked for dialation/effacement that week then I can. I told him I think I wanna wait til 38 weeks. I know it could mean nothing, but I am the type of person who gets my hopes up if I am even a little dialated! lol...anyone else planning to wait?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: are you going to refuse cervical checks?

• Having a cervical check at 37 weeks and being told that I was close to 3cm and would go into labor "any day now!" only to go four days past my due date kind of sucked.

But I'm sure I'll give in and get them done this time.

Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • Yep.  I haven't decided when I'll let them check, but probably not until 39 weeks at the earliest.  Probably 40 since talk of induction will start to come up at that point.
  • Loading the player...
  • I actually plan to ask for one at my 34 week appt on Monday.  I know they mean nothing (last two pregnancies they wouldn't even check until 38 weeks and I was always closed up tight) but if I've apparently been having this many contractions already I
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't know that I'll refuse them but they don't really mean anything to me. They didn't hurt so it wasn't any big deal to get them. I won't request it if they don't bring it up but won't refuse either.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimage
  • I probably should since last time I was 1cm at wk37, 38, 39, and 40.  The lack of progress was really discouraging.  However, I am also too curious to say no.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • I won't be refusing. If my OB wants that information, then so do I. 

But I also don't see the big deal with them. They aren't painful in my opinion 

• I got tested for GBS early and I am pretty sure they were all the way up there then too.  So, if they are already up there why not?  I can't really tell you what I am going to do because I don't know what to expect after my cerclage is out.&nbsp
  • imagejerseygirl81:
    Having a cervical check at 37 weeks and being told that I was close to 3cm and would go into labor "any day now!" onl
  • No I won't be refusing.  I have to be induced early and I would like to know if I am favorable or not.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I am too curious to refuse them lol. I think they start around 36 weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My dr checks at 36 weeks and I won't refuse that one. After that they don't check again until 40 weeks unless you request to be checked. I'll probably ask to be checked again at 39 weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am having my GBS test at 35 weeks, and my OB said she'd check then but I don't see the point that early..maybe at 37 I won't be able to refuse but I don't want to get my hopes up for nothing but also am to curious to say no.
  • My doc hasn't even mentioned them yet. I probably won't refuse them, but I won't ask either. I'll let my doctor decide since I'm ok either way.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They just told me yesterday that it's standard for the doc to do one at 36 weeks.  I wont say no.  I have no idea if they plan to do one weekly at that point. As long as it dosent hurt, I dont think I'll mind.

Pregnancy Ticker

• imageGradMommyToBe:
    My doc hasn't even mentioned them yet. I probably won't refuse them, but I won't ask either. I'll let my doctor deci

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I talked to my dr. about this last time and he said while they are already "down there" doing the strep test (GBS) then I'll be checked but only if I want to. I am curious also, but like JerseyGirl said, it can be frustrating if you think you are progress

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• My DS1 was born early so never made it to the cervical checks appointments. I am being monitored 2x a week (U/S & NST's) now because of the PTL last time so I am wondering if I will make it far enough to have to decide this or not? I actually think th

BFP 5/21/10, Missed m/c 7/5/10 at 11w3d (baby measured 7wks), D&C 7/7/10

Aug/Sept 2010 - CD3&10 b/w & u/s, genetic testing, SA, HSG, & Lap/Hyst to remove septum

12/09/10 BFP -- 7/05/11 DS born at 33w5d. Came home after 23d in NICU at 37w0d

June 2012 - TTC #2! -- 10/05/12 BFP --  5/23/13 DS2 born at 37w1d! Yay full term!

Surprise BFP 6/25/14 LO#3 due Feb2015!

imageimage
  • imageMommyLizzy:
    If my doctor thinks I need to have one, I'll let him.  I don't find them painful like a lot of women. I don't
    image imagePregnancy Ticker image
  • imageKateRN08:
    I don't think I have the willpower to decline... I am way too curious.

This! I had one Tues

DS1: 4/15/2011
    Dx: ASD, SPD and receptive and expressive speech delay at 21 months
    BFP #2: CP 5/2012
    DS2: 4/24/2013
    BFP #4: Miscarriage at 5 weeks 7/2014
    BFP #5: 8/8/2014 Due 4/20/2015 
    Its a healthy girl!!!!! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Meh, if the MW wants/need to check sure. I think I would prefer not to know though. I don't want to get my hopes up just to wait longer than what I think it should take.
    VOTE on my Name List
    Check out my Team Green baby names! P.S. I'm not serious with any of the names
    BabyFruit Ticker
    My BFP Chart
    BFP 9/7/12, EDD 5/15/13
    MW interview said 5/17/13 and changed back to 5/15/13 after first visit
  • Yeah, I plan to say no to as many as possible. The less touching the better for me. And I don't want the knowledge of where I am (or am NOT) to stress me out. I'm going with the "it happens when it happens" mindset. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'll have them done.  I know it doesn't necessarily mean anything, but as I'm trying for another VBAC, it gives me hope.  I'm more interested in the baby's position (they can feel how engaged the baby is) than how effaced or dialated I am, but a
    "Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • I'm not planning to ask for one, however, if she wants to check I doubt I will refuse. Curiosity perhaps?
    TTC since 3/4/2010
    Me: PCOS, DH: normal
    Started seeing RE 11/10/2011
    8/31/2012 = BFP!!
    First Ultrasound... TRIPLETS! EDD 5/11/13
    Baby w/ no HB @ 10w4d - We love you angel baby.
    Baby A & B doing great. A/S 12/10/12 - Healthy BOYS!
    Sawyer & Silas born at 33+6 on 3/29/13
    imageimage
    imageView Raw Image" height="250" width="375">

image"Lilypie">image

• Being a repeat c/s, I'm kind of hoping my doctor won't even bother.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Nope.  My OB normally starts them at 36-37w, I have an appt on Saturday (I'll be 34w5d) and I'm going to request one. 

I know they don't mean much from personal experiece but I'd like to know anyway.  With DS1 I was fingertip dila

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • imageeco+ri:
    I am too curious to refuse them lol. I think they start around 36 weeks.

Me too! </p

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I won't be having internals done because I am a repeat csection momma. If I wasn't I would probably refuse them. They don't mean anything to me. My friend was 3 cm at 36 wks and still had to be induced past her due date.
  • I'm expecting 3 and I have never refused one in the past. My practice doesn't start checking until 38 weeks. If they routinely checked earlier I would probably request to skip a couple. The more you are checked the higher your risk for infection.
  • Yup, unless something funky is going on, they seem pointless to me and can increase risk of infection.  Also, for FTMs the GBS check is quick and they don't go in very much.  With DS my one and only check was when I was almost at 10 cm.  
  • imageKateRN08:
    I don't think I have the willpower to decline... I am way too curious.

this!&n

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP#1 09/2009 * EDD 6/19/2010 * Born 6/12/2010

BFP#2 6/03/2012 * EDD 2/09/2013 * MC @ 5w2d 6/13/2012

BFP#3 8/30/2012 * EDD 5/16/2013

• My doc offered at my appointment today. But also said that he didn't really think it was necessary this early. I said no. I think if I was dilated at all it would just worry me and freak me out at this point. But, from here on out, I won't refuse. 
  • I don't think my dr offered at the 36 week strep test. She did check at 39 after asking me, and I'll do that again. I ended up going into labor the next morning.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"