December 2010 Moms

FB friends with coworkers?

Mobile title: FB friends with coworkers?

Okay, I feel like a 14 year old with this question, so bear with me...

I have worked in my new office for about 8 months now. It's a part time job and I am usually only in the office 2 or 3 times a week (with some time working at home) so that has hindered a little bit of socialization.

Another thing is that it's a very "buttoned up" organization. I used to work for an event planning company and before that a beer company - both VERY social and outgoing environments. This is the opposite of that - completely.

So I wasn't surprised that nobody had "friended" me on FB and honestly I didn't seek anyone out either because it's such a conservative environment I figured it was just safer that way. Plus, at the time I was still working my other job and didn't want to the two worlds to meet.

Anyway, it just seemed safer not to go there. Well, last night, one of my coworkers friended me (his wife just had a baby yesterday) and I accepted his request and saw that 3 other people in our team (so everyone but the boss) were friends with him.

Now I kind of feel like the seal has been broken and wonder if I should friend the other people or sit back and wait for them to friend me?

Okay I know that sounds a bit childish but I am really undecided. Are you friends with coworkers on FB?

Re: FB friends with coworkers?

• I would say it totally depends on your relationship with them in the office! I am friends with a bunch of my colleagues (all teachers). My principal is also on facebook, and while I have a good relationship with him and many of the other teachers are f

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am friends with a couple of the people I work with that I am friendly with and that I have things in common with-mostly LO's(we have 125 people in our company so I am certainly not "friendly" with everyone).  Some of my friends are friends with oth
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageNicole0012:

I would say it totally depends on your relationship with them in the office! I am friends with a

• I typically let coworkers friend me unless I have a really pressing motive to friend them.  So I have a bizarre assortment of work realated FB friends.  I feel like it is always a better move not to friend coworkers- it is so easy to unintent

image  image
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • kj07kj07 member

I don't like being FB friends with my co-workers.  I generally don't comment about work on my FB, but still, I don't like to have to consider if something I post might impact a work relationship.

I have a pretty good friend who's a former co

photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • imageEVM1216:

I typically let coworkers friend me unless I have a really pressing motive to friend them.  So I have a bizar

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think it is personal preference.

I'm not friends with CWs on FB, and I don't want to be. I have a special group with very locked-down privacy settings for the few FB friends who I know through a primarily professional setting, so I could accep

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I'm FB friends with my boss (whom I've know for a very long time and is also FB friends with my DH) and with some co-workers that are in other depts.  I'm NOT FB friends with any of my current employees.  I don't ever want them to think I use an
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Rarely do I ever friend request anyone much less coworkers. I figure if people want to be friends with me they will add me. If they don't, it's one less whiny FB post I have to read ;P

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Married my best friend 01/01/09

BFP#1 05/06/10. Jarebear born 12/29/10.

BFP#2 06/22/12 (DH's birthday). EDD 02/23/13. M/C and D&C 08/09/12

BFP#3 02/04/13. Alaina Beth born 10/09/13.
  • I only work with like 10 people in total at my clinic but most of them don`t even have FB.  Like 4 of them are half owners of the clinic so I would never add them as friends if they did have FB lol.

I had worked with the only other girl my a

• I'm fb friends with co workers that I'm friendly with. I diet seem them out, but I accepted their friend requests. There's a few cw who friended me, but are drama so I accepted them but have my privacy settings super high for them.
  • I think all of these are good points - I am not going to seek anyone else out but will probably accept their request if they try to friend me. Thanks for helping me see all the sides of the decision!!

• 2 people from work are literally my best friends, so yes, we are FB friends.  But I work as a teacher, it's very congenial. We eat lunch together, we hang out after school, we do hang out on weekends and summer with certain people, so yes, I am FB

photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"