October 2012 Moms

How do you get your baby to sleep on their stomach?

Yes, I know it's not recommended, but LO is FINALLY rolling both ways very easily and that is the milestone I've been waiting for before I was ok with letting her sleep on her stomach. My mom and another caretaker who wasn't familiar with the "back to sleep" program let her sleep on her stomach as a newborn and she slept for HOURS like that.

LO and I have been sick for over a month straight (not an exaggeration) and she's been waking up every 2-3 hours at night as a result. I am dying here. I just need some freaking sleep.

But every time I try to put LO down on her stomach to get her to sleep, she just instantly wakes up, presses up off of the crib, and starts to play, even if she was completely passed out seconds before. So, how do you get your kid to go to sleep on their stomach instead of pushing up and playing??? I tried rubbing her back, but it just seemed to wake her up more. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: How do you get your baby to sleep on their stomach?

• I guess I have the worst of both worlds then - my LO HATES sleeping on her back. We've had her in a swing or a rock and play because the incline is the only way she'll sleep on her back, but lately she keeps wiggling in her swaddle to the point where she almost fell out of both of them so I've been forced to make the move to the crib.

On her back in the crib she sleeps 40 minutes if swaddled and 20 minutes if not swaddled. Sleeping on her stomach in the crib seems like the only way to get any sleep, but as soon as she rolls from her back to her stomach she wakes herself up. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Have you tried elevating the mattress in the crib? My DD has horrible reflux, so the Dr recommended it for that, but when you said she doesn't like to lay flat it made me think of it. We just rolled up a beach towel and stuck it under one end of the mattress so it is in the crib at a slight incline.
  • Loading the player...
  • This is probably a totally dumb question, but is she happy when she wakes up and picks her head up to play? What would happen if you just walked away and left her? I also have tummy sleepers and they ALWAYS pick up their heads, look around and "talk" after I put them down. After a while of them cooing and grunting, they'll eventually stick in the thumbs and go to sleep. I just stay there for a moment and sing, pat their bottoms and then say goodnight, I love you!

• I really thought we weren't supposed to put them on their stomachs, if they rolled they could stay that way - but maybe thats splitting hairs.

Either way - we put her on her side (have since we made the transition to the crib from the rnp - ped was more then ok with it at the age we did it). so she rolls form her side to her stomach.  When she first started doing this she startled awake maybe 4 times.. now she just flips over - turns her head and sleeps.. sometimes she will pop up but like pp if we leave her she will eventually talk / coo and then lay down - sometimes she needs help getting her binky when she's done talking to herself.. I just go in when I hear her crying - pop a binky back in and walk away.  She whines a little and goes to sleep. 

• So I just tried the trick with the blanket and letting her fall asleep on my chest, and it worked! ... for like 5 minutes and then she rolled over and woke herself up. Doh.

I'm letting her play in her crib for a while to see if she'll go down on her own, but every time I've tried to do that so far she ends up rolling into a corner and then crying because she's stuck.

Of course, she hasn't spent much time in her crib so I'm wondering if I should just let her hang out in her crib all day for a few days so she can get over the novelty of it. Right now she thinks it's awesome to grab at the butterflies on her sheets, or the crib rails, or the bottom of the mobile, or anything else that happens to be in her line of sight.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • End result: wailing in a corner and now she refuses to sleep at all. I want to punch something.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • my lil one is a tummy sleeper and let him sleep that way notice he has control also wants to sleep on his side:) his pedi said all her kids slept that way and they are grown and ok soo we left him as a tummy sleeper.

He used to fall asleep on our chest like most babies and would only sleep for  a while that way...I think it has to be a natural thing they want to do

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"