Breastfeeding

How long is breast milk good for after warming?

How long is breast milk good for at room temperature after you have warmed it in a cup of warm water?
LauraA

Re: How long is breast milk good for after warming?

• I'd usually offer it, then if there was leftovers I'd rechill in the fridge and rewarm and offer for the next feeding.

Or if I when DH was routinely giving a bottle at night, I'd pump and leave it at room temp. It's good for 8 hours that way.

• It is good for up to an hour at room temp after it has been warmed.  You should not put it back in the fridge if it does not get finished (bacteria from baby's mouth).
    DD 11/1/12
    DS 7/16/14
    DD Free from FPIES triggers as of 18 months! 
    Sweet potato, avocado, banana, mango, oats, wheat & rice outgrown.
    Dairy, soy, and peanut allergies outgrown! Allergic to eggs.
    DS MSPI, egg allergy
  • Loading the player...
  • imageKittery16:
    It is good for up to an hour at room temp after it has been warmed.  You should not put it back in the fridge if it does not get finished (bacteria from baby's mouth).

That's formula advice, and not true for breastmilk.

https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/reusing-expressedmilk/

• I consider it good for the next 45 hours. If LO doesn't drink all of it I put it back in the fridge and save it for the next feeding. If she doesn't finish it then, I toss it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Really? Where did you get this information? 

The CDC says not to save milk from a used bottle at another feeding.

https://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/recommendations/handling_breastmilk.htm

DD 11/1/12
    DS 7/16/14
    DD Free from FPIES triggers as of 18 months! 
    Sweet potato, avocado, banana, mango, oats, wheat & rice outgrown.
    Dairy, soy, and peanut allergies outgrown! Allergic to eggs.
    DS MSPI, egg allergy
  • Read through the kellymom link I posted and reach your own conclusions.
  • From my lactation consultant 1-2 hrs. is what you should aim for. In a pinch 4-6 say you warm a bottle and baby falls back to sleep. You can use fresh express milk again in a pinch for a second feeding i.e. growth spurts crying only took one ounce 3 remaining. Breast milk has natural live bacteria that can kill any germs from baby's mouth. These should not be practices to make habit you won?t really harm your baby just a really bad belly ache and probably some awful crying. Most babies will reject spoiled milk but is the risk worth it? Formula never use over after baby has drank from it or over 1 1/2 hrs max definitely will spit it up.

Exclusive Pumper

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagetheresat858:

imageKittery16:
    It is good for up to an hour at room temp after it has been warmed.  You should not put it back in the fridge if it does not get finished (bacteria from baby's mouth).

What terrible advice. I'm sorry for all the breastmilk you've wasted.

It's good for 4-6 hours at room temp. And can be put back in the fridge and given at the next feeding, too.

this is for freshly expressed milk though, right? Not previously frozen, then warmed milk? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1:10/31/10 DS born 6/22/11BFP #3:4/24/12 DD born 12/31/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelandosmommy:
    imagetheresat858:

imageKittery16:

What terrible advice. I'm sorry for all the breastmilk you've wasted.

It's good for 4-6 hours at room temp. And can be put back in the fridge and given at the next feeding, too.

this is for freshly expressed milk though, right? Not previously frozen, then warmed milk? 

There isn't really good data on how many things you can push at once with the same bottle. It generally makes sense that refrigeration reduces bacteria growth, so if you know you won't be reoffering a bottle for a while it makes sense to chill it.  If you don't know when you'll be reoffering (say, the bottle was rejected and you want to try as soon as the baby stirs), it can make more sense to leave it at room temp.

Freshly expressed milk will last longer than frozen and thawed milk because it's more biologically active.

Overall, I sniff-tested anything I offered him. We never had an issue, but I only gave bottles occasionally. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"