Baby Showers

family baby shower....want my hubby to be apart...

I know that "normal" baby showers are for the women...but m just not a traditionalist or a girlie girl....my wonderful sister in law who is going to give me a baby shower has asked me to think about what i would like.....first it is very important to me that my husband is there at the shower with me....its such a fun and exciting time in our lives...plus this is our first baby...i would really like to have a "family" baby shower...where all of our friends and family can come....i was thinking since the baby shower will be in August...i would love to do a barbeque....with games.....im just not sure how to suggest this to my sister in law without sounding pushy or weird......any suggestions....?????  Thanks So much........ 

Re: family baby shower....want my hubby to be apart...

• Say you want it non-traditional and laid back and when she asks for a guest list just invite couples. However, it should be smaller if you have couples since it's twice the people. If she asks for more details then I would tell her what you are wanting. Don't give input if she doesn't ask for it, that can come across as Mom-illa.
  • What pp said and please, for the love of all that is holy, use periods. Thank you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • She's asked what you'd like so you can tell her. But, as said, co Ed may mean smaller guest list. This is HER pocketbook paying for this. If you're envisioning 60 people but she can only afford 30, you have to either invite 30 women or 15 couples. Also realize that often times men have NO desire to attend showers. Especially traditional ones that include games and such.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I couldn't even read the post because of your rambling and the lack of any punctuation.  Seriously, periods and commas aren't just "good ideas."  They teach it to you for a reason.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMelRC117:

Can someone please explain to me why it is so important for husbands to be at the showers?  I don't get this. 

I don't either.  It's a social event/ a gift giving event.  It's not the "be all/ end all" event that I feel many people make it out to be.  What mattered to me is that my DH was there for the birth, and what continues to matter is that he's an involved father.  All the pre-baby stuff?  It's fluff. 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Does your husband even want to be there?  Mine didn't. Let your SIL host the shower she can.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • we had a really nice, laid back co-ed shower. our families planned it for us (our moms and sisters). it was just a simple cook out at a rented pavillion. it was really nice having our families and friends there.  i was also due in august and we had the shower in june, good thing because i delivered a month early. go for it and have fun!

we did not play games and there was beer, had to keep the men happy lol

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would ask your hostess how many people she was planning for, as PPs have suggested, since you may need to scale back your guest list if you're planning to have couples.  I would just run it past her as a suggestion and see what she thinks.

I personally like co-ed showers/BBQs and DH doesn't mind them as long as they're not too froofy.  I don't think most guys are too interested in games and guessing what kind of candy bar poop is in the diaper, but most guys would be down for a BBQ with their friends and could tolerate a half hour of gift opening if they had a beer in their hands.... 

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I started by asking hubby if he wanted to go... He said he did so when my friends asked about a shower, I told them I'd like it to be co-ed, and I gave them ideas of games my hubby doesn't mind playing vs ones he doesn't want to play. And, once it was scheduled, I called a few of our really close friends and made sure they knew their husbands were welcome so my hubby wouldn't be the only guy there... The invites were written with wives, husband and children invited so the RSVPs are reflecting families coming as groups, which is just what we wanted!

I think if you aren't close enough to the person who is throwing the shower to really be able to tell them what you want, maybe they aren't the right person to throw the shower. My two best friends both offered to throw me a shower, they didn't know each other well, but I gave them each others phone numbers, told them what I'd like and let them handle it from there... It's this weekend, so I guess we'll find out on Sunday how well that went, lol!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"