Natural Birth

Pain Managment BESIDES Epi

So, I will be 42 weeks on Wednesday and it is a real possibility that I may be induced at the hospital.

I have stressed about this but I am now ready to approach it calmly and with a plan. I feel if I must have pitocin that I may want to take something for pain management at some point. I do not want an epidural and I am researching what my local hospitals offer besides, but I am really new to this and was hoping that someone could help me with common alternatives to epidural so that I know what to look for.

Someone who's birth story I read recently said that they were offered morphine. and it worked for them. I know some others may think me crazy but that sounds better than epidural. Still, what other options are usually offered at hospitals and have any of you had experience with alternatives to epidural? 

I'm planning on holding out as long as I can since baby is still healthy in there, but induction is now a possibility so I'm trying to prepare!

TIA!

EDIT: I just saw that my hospital of choice offers Nitrous Oxide and that seems like the BEST option to me if I feel I need pain meds IF I get and induction. Any experience or thoughts there?

Also, I don't plan on rushing into induction if I risk out of my homebirth before baby comes. I just want to have a contingency plan if it comes down to that somehow.

Thanks again!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pain Managment BESIDES Epi

• I used nitrous oxide with DD1. It can make people nauseous. I sucked down on it and it made me feel terrible and woozy. Then my MW instructed me how to breathe effectively. From memory it was inhale the gas counting to 3 as contraction builds, then let go of the pipe and breathe normally.

It helped me, especially during pushing. But I didn't have it available for DD2 and that was fine too.

Also my hospital could adjust the strength to suit, so my MW made it weaker to begin with after it made me feel really sick. That didn't really help. So she turned it up higher and that was good for me. So you can ask if that function is available too.

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• AmyRIAmyRI member
    If nitrous oxide was available, it would be my first choice. Next is the epi. I have never been ok with IV meds like morphine. They directly impact the baby and can cause breathing issues if given too close to delivery. I wouldn't want a groggy baby, so I'd take the risks of the epi over morphine.
    #3 Due April 2016
  • Loading the player...
  • imageAmyRI:
    If nitrous oxide was available, it would be my first choice. Next is the epi. I have never been ok with IV meds like morphine. They directly impact the baby and can cause breathing issues if given too close to delivery. I wouldn't want a groggy baby, so I'd take the risks of the epi over morphine.

I would do nitrous oxide if it was available, too. Though, can you take it for a long time during labor? I always thought it was just for a "boost" here and there.

Narcotics can't be taken too close to birth, either, so I think it can be sort of hard to coordinate when it's most effective.

Good luck with your birth!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I will try nitrous oxide if I'm at the hospital and want it. Last time, I arrived too late to be offered anything. Looking at the risks, they're really minimal with nitrous and it leaves your system very quickly so if you don't like it, you just stop.

I won't do narcotics because of the effect on the baby and wanting to be present for the birth. I'd rather do an epi than morphine, for sure. 

• My doula friend recommended consenting to 1 hour of pitocin and then going off it for an hour to see if your body takes over. I tried to request this at the hospital without much success but if I had had a doula with me, or if my entire birth team wasn't already wiped out from the 20 hours of labor we'd already worked through, we/I could have refused to consent to anything else.

I don't think I could endure laboring on Pit for several hours without pain medication, but I could definitely do 1 hour at the beginning of labor when I still have my strength and am well rested. If your Bishop score is high, it might work. 

BTW - I'd also try Cervadil first, maybe the night before. There's also some new-ish labor inducing drug that is taken orally (it's Rx, not Castor Oil) - I'd give both of those a try before consenting to Pitocin because then the contractions will be of a more natural strength. Personally, I wouldn't consent to breaking of the waters because that will put you on a clock and you'll have to have a c-section if the induction fails. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • NO2 is the only thing I am aware of that does not effect your baby. Epi's, morphine, etc. makes most babies groggy at some point and harder to get breastfeeding going.

If you are going past your due date, get into an acupuncturist for Cervical Ripening. Atleast if you go past your date you may have a softer cervix and not need ripening meds. The softer your cervix the less likely of induction leading to c-section.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for all of your input, it really helps to hear from real people!

And thanks in advance to anyone else with advice or input!

• imageAmyRI:

I agree. Sending you easy labor and baby come out vibes! 

• I never felt the need to even think about pain relief with DS1, bur my labor with DS2 was waaayyyy more painful and I seem to remember them offering me opiates of some sort. I managed to refuse, but just barely.

Between opiates and nitrous.

• I have heard Nubain is a common one they offer. It's a synthetic opiate like drug and that is about all I know about it. For those that have used it... a couple ladies told me it worked well to take the edge off, didn't make them feel sick and was effective at low doses. This however says nothing about how it is for the baby, so you will have to research that and other information on Nubain so that you can make an informed decision on it. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

In terms of induction... have you researched any more natural forms of induction or any of the safer old wives tales that you can try? I've heard so many... and plenty of them are perfectly safe and maybe worth a try if you haven't already. I've heard taking frequent walks, having intercourse, eating pineapple, eating italian food, nipple stimulation, anything that releases oxytocin, etc. etc. Just a thought if you'd like to try and safely jump start things from your home. I mean what harm is there to a little love makin' and having some pineapple? lol. I also heard climbing stairs but I wouldn't do that too much...

At this point there is no way they will let your pregnancy continue on much longer. The risks of an aged placenta and the lack of protective vernix and all other downsides to being way past due are potentially present and doctors don't really want to see things progress past 42 weeks anymore...
    If it's any consolation, my MIL carried one of her sons for 46 weeks and he turned out okay... though her description of him as a baby would be concerning for most pediatricians these days because she said he slept all the time and was so sleepy he would barely eat, never cried, etc. 

Best of luck and hopefully your baby says it's time soon.
    Thursday
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've never heard anything good about anything really I don't want to promote epidurals but I would stay faaaar away from narcotics....of course the bad news is some epidurals do have narcotics in them now days. On the other hand I went Med free after an induction its not to bad :
  • imageThursdaysAngel:
    I have heard Nubain is a common one they offer. It's a synthetic opiate like drug and that is about all I know about it. For those that have used it... a couple ladies told me it worked well to take the edge off, didn't make them feel sick and was effective at low doses. This however says nothing about how it is for the baby, so you will have to research that and other information on Nubain so that you can make an informed decision on it. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

In terms of induction... have you researched any more natural forms of induction or any of the safer old wives tales that you can try? I've heard so many... and plenty of them are perfectly safe and maybe worth a try if you haven't already. I've heard taking frequent walks, having intercourse, eating pineapple, eating italian food, nipple stimulation, anything that releases oxytocin, etc. etc. Just a thought if you'd like to try and safely jump start things from your home. I mean what harm is there to a little love makin' and having some pineapple? lol. I also heard climbing stairs but I wouldn't do that too much...

At this point there is no way they will let your pregnancy continue on much longer. The risks of an aged placenta and the lack of protective vernix and all other downsides to being way past due are potentially present and doctors don't really want to see things progress past 42 weeks anymore...
    If it's any consolation, my MIL carried one of her sons for 46 weeks and he turned out okay... though her description of him as a baby would be concerning for most pediatricians these days because she said he slept all the time and was so sleepy he would barely eat, never cried, etc. 

Best of luck and hopefully your baby says it's time soon.
    Thursday

I was induced with cervidil and they gave me Nubian and what a waste of a needle jab. It just hurt my hip and didn't do a damn thing for the pain. If you are so overdue that you risk out of your HB you may be inducible without pit. I got all the way to 10 and pushed for an hour before we went for a c/s due to malpositioning.  Hope you go on your own.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• One thing you can do is ask your provider if he can "induce" you by rupturing your membranes. This way your body might take over without the need for Pitocin. I agree that you could ask for an hour of Pitocin and then go off to see if your body takes over from there. I would also write those things in your birth plan, just in case. Good luck!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"